Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2002, 04:29 AM

Default slowplaying big hands

i wonder if it makes sense in the 5 player games at PP to sometimes slowplay big hands like AA or KK. Since these games are pretty agressive anyway i personally dont think it does make sense. I sometimes slowplay AK or AQ but never the big pairs.

Opinions welcome :-)
Old 07-16-2002, 09:46 AM

Default Re: slowplaying big hands

Here's one perspective. By no means everything that is important to this issue:

There is a disease called "high-card-raiser-just-missed-flop" syndrome which is endemic on PP.

If your opponent is suffering from this disease you need to profit from it. Raise, until he notices with cards like 109/98/J10/Q9 medium cards that will make top pair on a "low" flop. Just limp with AK/AQ and punish when an ace flops - "caller-can't-have-ace syndrome" will cause your opponent to get too aggressive when you hit the flop with those hands. If you miss the flop don't get involved in a big pot.

With the big pairs, it doesn't matter so much what you do pre-flop from the point of his reads on your hands. I usually raise with them, but I never 4 bet - if I get raised I like him to stay in the lead for the flop and turn.