Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 05:04 PM

Default ARGGHH...thought I understood!

I'm a beginner and have read SSH and HEFAP. I've read many of the posts on this great site, and decided to read TOP based on all the info I've read. After getting throught the pot odds section, I got myself totally confused and I really thought I had understood this before!

Here's my "practical" question:

I have four to a flush on the flop. To call a bet at that time, do I need pot odds of at least 1.9 or do I need pot odds of at least 4.1?

What if I miss on the turn. What pot odds will I now need?

Thank you.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:37 PM

Default Re: ARGGHH...thought I understood!

I'm assuming limit. Correct odds on the flop to see the turn card with a 4 flush is 4:1. This is also the same to see the river card. Here, you get to see 1 card.

1.9:1 refers to how many times you'll complete the flush from the flop to the river. This is when you see 2 cards.

In NL, I believe you can call a half pot sized bet with a 4 flush. But don't quote me
Old 11-12-2004, 06:42 PM

Thank you...what if I KNOW I'm going to the river? Then would it not be correct to only need 1.9 pot odds?
Old 11-12-2004, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you...what if I KNOW I'm going to the river? Then would it not be correct to only need 1.9 pot odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. you take it 1 card at a time.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:48 PM

whew!...thank you very much. That's what I HAD been doing and the section in TOP confused me into thinking that I had been doing it incorrectly.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:55 PM

I dont think you take it one card at a time. On the flop the idea of pumping the pot is to use your pot equity edge to make money. You are saying you have a 35% change to win. so 1.9:1. so if you have more than one caller (at least 2) you are getting 2:1 which means your bets are making money. If it was heads up and the pot was small then you would take it one card at a time as you may not have odds to see river, then one card at a time, but if you plan to hang around to the river, you can count on your 1.9:1 odds.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming limit. Correct odds on the flop to see the turn card with a 4 flush is 4:1. This is also the same to see the river card.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite right. Odds on the flop (4.2:1 w/ 47 cards remaining) are slightly worse than on the turn (4.1:1 w/ 46 cards remaining).

Here is a link to a nice table from poster LostWages.

Also, the most practical advice for folding a 4-flush in limit hold'em is DON'T. In almost all cases, you will have pot odds/implied odds to see the river. The board and action has to be very scary to let it go.