Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 01:18 AM

Default filthy limpers

$50 NL SNG on empire

i get the major suit Q's in the BB - its about hand 5 and so far all have survived

6 limpers and a completer to me - whats a plan ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 11-11-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Re: filthy limpers

All in and pray you get a call from an LP 44. This works much better nights than days, though.

During the day, raise to t100 and pray someone reraises their AQ all in, instead.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$50 NL SNG on empire

i get the major suit Q's in the BB - its about hand 5 and so far all have survived

6 limpers and a completer to me - whats a plan ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise pot and hope no overcards flop when you get callers. Take a stab anyway if they do.

eastbay
Old 11-11-2004, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise pot and hope no overcards flop when you get callers. Take a stab anyway if they do

[/ QUOTE ]

before editing you suggested raise to T300 which was spooky because thats what i eventually did (i had a big think)

the fifth limper had AA so he raised to T600 and i eventually lost all but T160 of my precious chips

naturally i'm now thinking i should of gone with plan B - check and probably check/fold unimproved - i'm turning weak tight into an art form early

Old 11-11-2004, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise pot and hope no overcards flop when you get callers. Take a stab anyway if they do

[/ QUOTE ]

before editing you suggested raise to T300 which was spooky because thats what i eventually did (i had a big think)

the fifth limper had AA so he raised to T600 and i eventually lost all but T160 of my precious chips

naturally i'm now thinking i should of gone with plan B - check and probably check/fold unimproved - i'm turning weak tight into an art form early

[/ QUOTE ]

check/check fold!? I think you're being facetious...

My raise to 300 was for blinds 25/50, not 10/15. I'm trying to build the pot while keeping it something like 3-handed to the flop. That's really what drives my raise here.

eastbay
Old 11-11-2004, 08:21 AM

Are you running bad?

Raise QQ preflop.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you running bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

no i'm not running bad - i just find myself tending more towards protecting my chips early

with 7 other players i figure i have to raise a decent chunk to scare off at least 5 of them - i simply dont want to invest a lot of chips in a multiway pot because although my chip EV might be through the roof (i'm a limit player so nothing gives me greater delight than raising 7 limpers with this hand in a limit game) my reasonable expectation of winning the pot say 3 handed after the flop is not likely more than 50% at a guess - my expectation in the tournament is much more about my chances of winning the pot than my chip EV at this stage

i dont think raising the pot is a great plan - it may well be 4 or 5 handed on the flop if i do that and that just doesnt appeal - even without the overcard hitting there are a bunch of hands that will get all my chips - if i told you that raising the pot will cause 4 guys with smaller pocket pairs to call do you still want to do it ? - i prefer raising more because now i'll get rid of more limpers and my expectation of winning the pot will increase - but to do that i have to take a decent sized risk with a big chunk of my stack

i like plan B - bugger all risk - if a Q hits i very likely get a bunch of chips

to consider how close this might be imagine you had JJ or 1010 in the same spot with only 3 limpers - i'm confident a common view would be to check and hope to hit the flop - QQ is a better hand but from the front against 7 limpers surely the same plan for JJ becomes reasonable ?

either that or i'm swinging too far into weak tight mode - its all good

Old 11-11-2004, 01:46 PM

Stripsqueez --

What did you think he had when he raised to 600? What was your plan?

ThorGoT
Old 11-11-2004, 02:02 PM

huh?

allin
Old 11-11-2004, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What did you think he had when he raised to 600? What was your plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought he could have a very broad range of hands - i mean what do you put a guy on when he is the fourth over limper but then reraises about 75% of his stack ? - it was said earlier in this thread but there are so many crazy guys early that stuff like 33 or 97s isnt out of the question

given my "read" i was always pushing if someone reraised the flop - it would be different if i knew the player or perhaps if the first limper reraised - i pretty much committed my stack pre-flop when i raised to T300

the hand and result bore me after i decided to raise the flop to T300 - it would be good if someone could address the pre-flop argument - i would settle for "QQ is a rock so your thinking like a weak tight loser" - i'd be happy to say it to you if its what i thought