Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Too much post-flop aggression with 99?

In hindsight I question the out-of-position flop bet and the turn bet (At the time I was thinking since I picked up the straight draw and might possibly have the best hand it was worth a bet).

Paradise Poker 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

River: (8 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 11-10-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Too much post-flop aggression with 99?

I don't know if this is the right answer or not, but the way I would have played it...

First off, I would've raised from the SB with only two (relatively) late limpers in the pot. You might get the BB out of the pot, you might even luck out and force everyone out if they just decided to stretch their definitions of a "playable" hand with that many folds ahead of them.

I also would've bet out the flop, to see where I stand. With the raise PF, your opponents will then start to think about the possibility that you're holding AQ.

With no raisers, continue to bet out the turn, and I also would've bet out the river. Looking at the board &amp; the fact that everyone was just smooth calling, I'd have wagered that at least one person was on the flush draw (probably MP3, the river fold), and maybe another on the straight draw or holding middle pair. Even if someone did catch the Q, I give him the opportunity to question his kicker and fold if he's put me on AQ.

I'm probably wrong at least in part, but like I said...that's what I would have done in this position. Worst case I get busted &amp; can expect more calls in the future when I catch a better hand.