Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 12:14 PM

Default \"The Zone\"

We've all experienced it and it is the greatest feeling in the world (better than sex?). Your playing blackjack, for example, and you have 14 and you must hit....how do you know the 7 is coming?

The "feeling", the "zone", whatever you want to call it, how do we get it? I suppose that is the million dollar question as even professional athletes must ask...how?

The zone can go both ways, however, as we all know. Same example as above, 14 on board and you know 8 or higher is soon to follow. I have found the best way to avoid this trap is to either quit, cut down size of wager or change game.

But back to the "positive zone". I dont care what game im betting, (poker, sports mostly for me) I am constantly searching for it. Personally, I believe "the zone" is a state of mind that is generated by confidence. Therefore, when playing, I always strive for mental calmness. I want as many highs and limit the lows. I do this by the belief that im good at what I do and therefore I will succeed. This is why, i feel, many poker players lose when going to higher limits. They are out of their comfort zone and the confidence is not as great. Athletes suffer the same...highly touted out of college and a bum in the pros.

Put yourself in a position to succeed, and be disciplined not to stray from your comfort level. Do this and I believe "the zone" can be not only achieved but expected. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: \"The Zone\"

[ QUOTE ]
We've all experienced it and it is the greatest feeling in the world (better than sex?). Your playing blackjack, for example, and you have 14 and you must hit....how do you know the 7 is coming?

The "feeling", the "zone", whatever you want to call it, how do we get it? I suppose that is the million dollar question as even professional athletes must ask...how?

The zone can go both ways, however, as we all know. Same example as above, 14 on board and you know 8 or higher is soon to follow. I have found the best way to avoid this trap is to either quit, cut down size of wager or change game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really believe that your state of mind allows you to predict or control the next card?

chez
Old 11-08-2004, 01:06 PM

No, of course not. The secret of playing in the zone is being in a relaxed, focused state of concentration. When in that state of mind, visualization can be part of the process.

Nobody can predict the outcome of a flop, for example, but if I put myself in a position to succeed by playing good hold cards I can visualize a good outcome which gives me confidence.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:54 PM

"The zone" certainly exists. There are times that we perceive more accurately and make better decisions. However,your example of it is nonsensical. You cannot predict what card will come. The ONLY reason that you may think so is that your memory is selective. You remember the times you were right, but forget the times you were wrong. Read my "ESP is Nonsense" at cardplayer.com.
Regards,
Al
Old 11-08-2004, 03:32 PM

Agreed Al. I hate using the athlete example again but when a ball player is on a hot hitting streak he would always comment how big the ball was and how everything moved slower. Well, when I am playing good poker, I too experience the same feeling. I think more clearly, I am aware of the smallest details including betting tells from my opponents and I certainly do not get bored or lose my concentration.

In reference to predicting cards, did anyone see the movie "The Gambler" with James Caan. There is this one scene where James Caan is playing blackjack and is on this amazing streak or "zone" and he has a 18 on board. Dealer assumes he will stay with 18 but says "Wait.....give me the 3"

Dealer flips a three.

Classic. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Good thread. I'm always interested in the general question, "Can a good thing be cultivated?".
I don't keep a record of every minute that I play poker but lately I've noticed that sessions that I'm logging for the record are superior to sessions that I just play on a spontaneous basis for one orbit or a hundred. Therefore I conclude that the zone can be cultivated by understanding what the stresses are (good stress as opposed to strain) that take an individual into 'the zone'.
/M
Old 11-08-2004, 05:24 PM

No sensible person takes movies seriously.
You seem to be two different people. One serious player, and one who has doubts about math, ESP, randomness, etc.
Most of us have inconsistencies. I certainly do. I try very hard to keep my irrational sides under control.
I hope the serious player is dominant.
The other one HAS to lose.
Regards,
Al
Old 11-08-2004, 06:40 PM

For some reason, this thread really spoke to me. I was always at a loss for words to describe it, but I can certainly remember times where I was in "the zone", both the good one and bad one. As a really pragmatic player, it boggles my mind!
Old 11-09-2004, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No sensible person takes movies seriously.
You seem to be two different people. One serious player, and one who has doubts about math, ESP, randomness, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont take movies seriously and I think you missed the point.

Look, I cannot tell you what cards will be turned, nobody can, but any gambler will tell you there is a strong gut feeling you get when your on a roll and winning.

As unreasonable as this may sound to you Al, all gamblers know that feeling. When I play poker and I see a player who is hot or in the zone, I am not going to butt heads with him. You must respect that momentum he has built up otherwise he will bite you in the ass.

By the way I never mentioned the word ESP... you did. Probably to get a plug for your article and web site (noticed the link).

Anyway, I had a great day with football on Sunday(made $3k) so I felt in the zone and somehow I knew the Vikings were going to cover tonight. Dont ask me how I knew because I cant answer you. I think Mayhap and NDHand can relate. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2004, 05:04 AM

Default Note

What I meant by "The Zone" was more on a confidence level than anything else. While I certainly give it no credit when it comes to drawing odds, it is moreso a feeling of "this one is never gonna come" if im in a cold zone rather than a gut instinct on the next card. It's illogic, but a weird state of mind nonetheless.