Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Overpair, and I use that term loosely

This hand was from awhile ago, so if I had any read on the villan, I no longer remember what it was. Comments on all streets welcome.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero ?
Old 11-05-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Overpair, and I use that term loosely

bet...UTG+1 is A-high

--Casey
Old 11-05-2004, 02:34 PM

Hero bets for value. If the J hit him, he would be likely to bet the turn. My guess is he has overcards and could pay you off at the end.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:34 PM

Preflop, flop, and turn, all look fine. With the way the hand was played it appears that you will almost always be ahead on the river. I think he calls with A high more than he calls with a hand that beats you so the river is a value bet.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:49 PM

Bet. AK/AQ will call enough to make this worthwhile.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:08 PM

Well, it's all been said already, I agree with everyone else, this looks like an easy value bet. If he's got a jack he would be crazy not to bet or checkraise on the turn and then go for a checkraise on the river. I'd be very confident in betting the river on this one.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Results

River: (7.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.75 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+1 (11.75 BB).</font>

UTG+1 has Ad Ac (two pair, aces and fours).
Hero has 7h 7c (two pair, sevens and fours).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 11.75 BB.

I got pizowned -- really made me feel foolish. I'm glad everyone else bets the river. I guess I am supposed to fold to the river check-raise? But it's such an atypical move, I felt obliged to look him up, both to prevent future strange bluffs, and frankly, out of curiosities' sake. I saw the second four and said to myself "No way did he raise UTG with a 4" and thusly paid him off.

Were I villan and I was feeling tricky I may have smooth-called the flop raise in order to go for a turn check-raise. But I never would have considered his line, and he most certainly extracted the maximum given my holding (If I have KK or QQ he gets the same, but with 77, I probably fold to turn check-raise). Should I be looking for places to take his line heads up?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:32 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I agree with the others about the river.

I muck preflop though. with only one other player in, I muck 99 and 3-bet TT.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
(If I have KK or QQ he gets the same, but with 77, I probably fold to turn check-raise)

[/ QUOTE ]
Dumb comment by me. Obviously villan knows I don't have AA-JJ with no pre-flop 3bet.

[ QUOTE ]
I muck preflop though. with only one other player in

[/ QUOTE ]
I assumed I had a reasonable expectation of 4-5 people seeing the flop; with two cold-callers, blinds will come long pretty often. I was incorrect in this case.

So what do people think of villan's line? On further reflection, it seems poor. There are three possiblities for my holding: 1) I am on a draw in which case I might have taken a free card on the turn and folded the river, making his turn check a disaster; 2) I flopped a set, straight or two-pair, he never finds out where he's at and earlier and his river raise gets 3-bet which he has to call; 3) I have a marginal holding 66-TT, and he extracts the maximum.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:07 PM

Go ahead and bet here. He is calling you with A2/A3 and more.