Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2001, 05:30 PM

Default A Stud Concept: Negative Expecation Bets

Playing in my local 10-20 stud game. The hand isn't really important except to say that I had a flush in 5 cards and bet it when I hit. On sixth street, I caught a 4th spade on board. Both of my opponents paired their board (one a door card, another his 5th street card--there is no bring-in in this game, and my first bet was on 5th street (and the first of the hand) was on 5th when I hit my flush.) On the river, they checked to me and I checked my flush. My logic is that if I get raised, I am losing b.c it is obvious I have a flush. I was roundly criticized for not betting the river, but I just figured that I was in trouble if called or raised. OTOH, two pair might have paid off here. It turned out that the first player rivered broadway and would have paid off. I still think my logic is sound, but maybe I'm missing out on some bets here. What are your thoughts?

Jeff
Old 11-29-2001, 05:55 PM

Default Re: A Stud Concept: Negative Expecation Bets

I think you missed a bet unless these are very tricky players. Once they both check, I'm thinking it's worth $20 to get the call from two pair, trips or a straight. But it's tough to bet into two paired boards.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:02 PM

If you bet on sixth street and they called then this means one of two things, they dont think you have the flush or they are drawing to a full house. Given the possibility that they may think that you do not have the flush I would bet. If you get raised then you probably should make the crying call. Of course, this possibility is why you can make a case for not betting, since you will not have to make the crying call. But the best play against most players is to bet. But I think it is close and will certainly be open to persuasion.

Pat
Old 11-29-2001, 06:04 PM

I think you are right. After I posted the other post I thought of Bob Ciaffone's concept in his Improve your Poker book. That concept is that to bet on the river all you need to have is what you are representing, nothing more. This advice is worth considering here.

Pat
Old 11-29-2001, 06:38 PM

Hello,Jeff,

If your opponents are average to good players and raises you after your board is showing an apparent flush,you can safely toss your hand away.

Two pairs would probably call and a Str. would certainly call. In the long run,by not betting in this spot,you are losing money. In another words,by continuing to bet in a spot like this,you will win more than you will lose. So bet it up!

Happy Pokering,

Sitting Bull

Old 11-29-2001, 07:16 PM

Default Value betting on the river

One area of stud where I had difficulty when I started playing was making value bets on the river. I was constantly making checks like this (whether acting first or last) in fear of being raised when my opponent made a hand on his last card which will beat my hand.

I would usually check it down with flushes, straights, and always with two-pair. What a waste of money! Eventually, I simply built up the nerve to always value bet the river with any good two-pair or better even if I thought my opponent might be drawing to a straight or flush. I've definitely made more money on my value bets than I've lost by being raised and making a crying call.

I took a long-term perspective on the situation and have made quite a few extra bets because of it.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:36 PM

It depends on what they might have been drawing to.

In a 3-way pot in a full game, by the river you have usually seen at least 19 cards, leaving at most 33 unaccounted for. If they both had trips and were drawing to fill up, each player could have as many as 10 outs, and between them they need only 17 to make you less than even money. So if their draws are awfully live (which is rare), and if they are tricky enough to go for a check-raise on the river, you can lean towards checking, although it's still right to bet against most opponents.

But if they were both drawing to two pair, then they can't have more than 8 outs combined no matter how alive they are (unless they also have flush draws), so you're about a mathematical 3-1 favorite and should bet regardless of your opponents' style or ability.

If one is drawing to trips and the other to two pair, then the most outs they can have between them (excluding flushes) is 14, so at worst you're usually a bit better than even money, and often much better than that, and you should still bet.

Old 11-29-2001, 10:10 PM

Larry,

Another thing to take into account is the players in the game. While this is a soft game, we also play with each other often. They have seen me make folds they would not have, and I think a bluff raise is a possibility on the end (though slim, but still a possibility). Is betting wrong if I feel I will have to pay off in this spot or is it still better to bet?

Jeff

Jeff
Old 11-29-2001, 10:20 PM

When they both call my 6th street bet (4 flush on board), I have to put at least one of them on trips or possibly two pair. These opponents both checkraise and one is fond of doing it on a complete bluff b/c he sees me as tight. In this spot, do u still bet?

Jeff
Old 11-29-2001, 10:53 PM

Well, I think the other posters have nailed the theory and Lin's nailed the math. The read on the opponents is what separates decent players from good players -- and while theory and odds can help you make reads, only your instincts, experience and powers of observation can take you to the next level. In this instance, I think you've got enough edge that it would take a really strong read (or a tell) to fold to a raise. But, of course if the raiser will sometimes be bluffing, your calling expectation isn't always negative.