Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Flying long distances and what to do in Sydney, Australia

I will be traveling to Australia in a few weeks. Normally for flights I bring my laptop and have plenty to do while it is flying. But the 15 hour flight will easily run me out of batteries. It appears that Qantas only has power outlets in business class and first class, and I will be stuck in coach.

Anyone have any expirience with any options I might have for my laptop? If not, what would you do to pass the time besides sleep?

Also, if anyone has any expirience in Sydney, what are some must-see attractions? It will be my first time in the land down under.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Flying long distances and what to do in Sydney, Australia

I spent six months in Sydney and absolutely loved it. I don't have time to make a full post now, but check back in a couple of hours and I can tell you tons of things to do.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Hang out in Cabramatta...

Its a great place. Just 45 minutes up the train line from Circular Quay. All kinds of chill people--get there, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:02 PM

The Sydney Opera House is a must-see, definitely.

If you can, get out to the Olympic Village, I've been there, and swam in the Olympic pool. Very cool place.

I was only in Sydney for a day on my way to the Gold Coast (Surfer's Paradise - that place RULES).

Qantas has TVs in the backs of the seats and you can watch movies to pass some time...otherwise just take a Benadryl and zonk out for a while - that one works wonders.

Oh yeah, if you've got someone special around here, you can find some serious high-quality Opal jewelery straight from the source - stuff you can't get from the States. There was one store in particular in Sydney that has all kinds of stuff...I'm sure someone there would help you find it.

-Edge
Old 11-02-2004, 10:19 PM

flights leave about 10 pm from the wet coast. you should try to sleep as much as you can and they wake you early for breakfast.
get a layout of your plane and pick your seats from that. in the back is probably rows of two. those are nice as you dont have a fat man pushing you out of yours for 15 hours.
if the flight is empty grab four seats in the middle just before takeoff and you can lay out and sleep on those. be fast as the race for them is quick.
i pick vegetarian food for the flights as its much better than some heated up chicken. but quantas has good food for airplanes.
in sydney go around the old town, and bondi beach. and do a harbor boat ride. go to manly beach if you are young and want to see the topless crowd. its a nice city but big. so you have big city things going on. if you have time rent a car and see the country. or at least go to the barrier reef and snorkel. its a short flight.

read a book they arent heavy to carry.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:30 PM

also, you can check out Sydney's "red light" district, called Kings Cross...pretty tame, if you've been to Amsterdam or Bangkok, but a lot of fun!

Also, do dome day trips outside of Sydney - there's plenty of wine country to explore, and incredible mountains and forrests...

Sydney is amazing...probably my most favorite city in the world...the people are fun, it's a party every day, and the beer has more alcohol in it!

woo hoo!
Old 11-02-2004, 10:54 PM

Default Melbourne is heaps better.

Pssshhhhaw. Sydney-siders.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:24 PM

I'd reccomend PMing Stripsqueez, He is the only 2+2er i know of thats from australia.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:09 AM

I've been to Sydney, but don't know it well enough to really give you many tips on the town.

However, I've done the trans-pacific flight many times, and it goes much better if you can decent amount of sleep. I found the best tactic is to not sleep well the night before (getting up early after a night of drinking worked well for me) then staying up all day, as the flight will likely leave in the evening ( to confirm Ray Zee).

Then, when I got to the airport, have a beer and a meal there. Get on the plane, have another beer and another meal. By this stage I was always sufficiently full, tired and relaxed that I could just crash, usually for 6-7 hours, and I was well past half way by the time I woke up. The jet lag was never that bad for me after that.

btw, when you've come that far, at least make another three hour trip and visit a country worth seeing [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2004, 01:09 PM

Go. To. The. Beach. And don't spend more than half a day around the quay. Walk the Harbor Bridge if you get a chance. Eat a ton; the food is great in Australia.