Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2004, 08:20 PM

Default Pushing the early edges?

This was a $30, first hand. Any comments?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)
SB (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, MP3 calls t60, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t105</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t800 (All-In)</font>, MP3 folds, UTG calls t695 (All-In).
Old 10-31-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Pushing the early edges?

I'd rather do this on hand 1 than hands 4+ as the odds of there being a nutjob at the table are still reasonably high.

This kind of play tends to lower your ITM and ROI but increase your hourly rate, so I don't think it's bad.

Lori
Old 10-31-2004, 09:02 PM

With AK on Level 1 I will push to any reraise, and push most large raises as well. Like Lori says, its great for your hourly rate.

I do tend to exercise a little caution when someone limp reraises though. I still think your play is ok but the odds of him having AA/KK are pretty good given his line.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:10 PM

I agree,

Although limp reraises are somewhat rare in the $10-$30 range, they usually represent a monster.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although limp reraises are somewhat rare in the $10-$30 range, they usually represent a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dissagree. I think limp reraises are usually low pocket pairs getting all their money in as a "favorite" against AK.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-01-2004, 01:03 AM

interesting thought, anyone else find this aswell
Old 11-01-2004, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I dissagree. I think limp reraises are usually low pocket pairs getting all their money in as a "favorite" against AK.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's common, yeah. I do think it's also fairly common to see a monster after a L-RR, but I think an even more common pattern for those hands is MR-RR.
Here, I would be slighly less worried than usual about a monster because the pot is not heads-up when UTG makes his small re-raise.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this much more often than I see AA or KK limp reraising. Most of the time if called I see 77 or 88, but also pretty much any pair.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:00 PM

I think I'd be more inclined to push this if they're suited. The one problem with a push here, is you know utg is calling, so you've lost all fold equity. The way I usually play AK is I don't really "call allins" with AK, but I can push allin, probably pretty standard. But if someone is randomly pushing allin when blinds are low, I usually don't call with AK, the chance of a pocket pair is too great, and the reward is too small.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:43 PM

I agree...I think the limp reraise screams mid-PP.

Or...For the tricky player...

I find that I get lots of +EV if i make this move with AA or KK for the small reraise to goad some one to go all-in. I started using this tactic when it was used on me a couple of time successfully.

So either way, I would have called the raise and not gone all-in and see what happens on the flop.

-Gryph