Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2004, 06:42 AM

Default What\'s the best chair?

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I'm curious if any of you have recommendations for chairs. Spending alot of time in front of the computer seems to indicate the need for a good chair. My current chair is over four years old and I need to get a new one. I've been looking at the Herman Miller Aeron chair, which is very nice and quite comfortable, but also about $500 on Ebay. I'm hoping there might be a better, less expensive alternative.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Old 10-30-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: What\'s the best chair?

If you're going to get the Aeron chair you should get the Freedom Chair by Humanscale instead. Slightly cheaper, much more comfortable. Czech out www.humanscale.com
Old 10-30-2004, 12:39 PM

You can get a new, perfectly good leather office chair for 1/10th the price of an Aeron. I got mine for $54 by just typing "leather chair" on ebay.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:52 PM

Nothing beats an Aeron, IMO. I have one at work and it is by far the most comfortable chair I've ever had. I'm saving to get one for my home office.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:15 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the thing for me about a chair is how well it works for long term sitting. i've used aerons at my last 2 major jobs, like 5 years now, so i wouldn't really consider anything else because i know how reliable/comfortable they are for extended sitting. for me it's not about how immediately comfortable i am, it's about how i feel when i've been sitting in it for 5 hours straight.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:36 PM

Actually the Skye chair from Kimball Office (Skye Chair) looks similar to the Aeron, but is far better. It is much more adjustable for proper ergonomics. Also, the seat is padded and the back is made from mesh cloth. If you sat in both you would tell the difference. The Aeron has become a cliche, because its on TV all the time.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:13 PM

The Aeron is not about looks. Those are just a side benefit. Most people find to be one really comfortable chair (and for 2x the price of a good (not the 50 dollar office max special) it better be). Other chairs might be as good (or better) but they haven't been tested by my ass for long periods of times. Herman miller has a new chair (mira?) that supposed is pretty good but I haven't sat in one foran 8 hours day.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:36 AM

I used to be craving a Herman Miller Aeron chair or something like that for a long time, and a better desk too, but a poster here showed me his set up and it changed my mind. He has a big lazy-boy type chair pulled up to a gigantic desk, and can just lean back in his comfy chair and relax. Hands and keyboard or mouse on a pillow or tray in his lap. Doesn't have to worry about an aching back or sore elbows from leaning on the desk, just lays back in his chair completely relaxed.

I guess the only liability would be if you were the type to fall asleep easily once you get comfy. Sounds like it beats a bad back and stiff shoulders to me, though. There's no chair I don't slump in after a while, but in a lazy-boy type chair, I wouldn't have to and wouldn't screw up my back that way. I think I'll try to get a folding table and scoot a lazy-boy type chair up under it and duplicate his set-up.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:01 AM

Staples.com currently has a vibrating massage leather office hair on sale for $74.84.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:06 AM

I've got the Aeron and the thing is you just don't feel it (which is a good thing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). Do get the right size though. www.sit4less.com should have a size chart but you might want to try one out at a store.

~ Rick