Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2002, 02:44 PM

Default How to Play Small Two Pair...

Hello Again all,

I see that since I last logged on we have had some more discussion on playing two small pair.

I would like to post a hand from this morning(or late last night,don't really remember when) from a baby stud(1-3) game I was in. I think this hand clearly represents when and how( and Why) to play two small pair. Of course if posters here disagree with the way I played it,please let me know so and why. ( That is of course why we are all here to begin with )

5c to my immediate left brings it in for a dollar. The entire table calls the $1 bring in. ( gotta love 1-3) I am last to act and call with (2d6s)6c

4th pairs the bring man with 5c5d. He bets 2 dollars.

A caller with 5h4d calls the $2. All fold to the player to my immediate right who has 5s and has just caught Kd. He raises to $5. Now I now know EXACTLY what this man has. He is a solid player for low limit and only plays good starting hands. He has one pair of Kings and started with 3 spades.

I am next to act and have just caught the 2c giving me (2s6s)6c2c. I re-raise to $8 and both players behind me fold and good opponent to my immediate right calls.

5th

I catch Ac giving me (2d6s)6c2cAc

opponent catches 2h giving him 5sKd2h

I am high and bet $3 and he calls.

6th

I catch Kc giving me (2d6s)6c2cAcKc

Opponent catches case 2.. 5sKd2h2s.

Now he is high and CHECKS. Now I am in one of those precarious situations that we have in Stud. I know he has me beat right now with Kings and dueces ( plus his four flush ) but I also have an AK four flush showing on my board. I decide to semi bluff the AK flush and bet $3 ( and I decide I am betting the river no matter what if he checks ) He calls $3.

River I am fortunate enough to catch a 6d giving me the small boat. My opponent checks and I bet $3 then he RAISES to $6, I re-raise to $9 and he calls showing a AKQ high spade flush and my boat takes it down.

Comments welcomed.

Later,

CJ

Old 05-14-2002, 08:46 PM

Default Re: How to Play Small Two Pair...

Hi CJ,

Frankly, you got very, very lucky on this hand.

First, you were very lucky that nobody else made a bigger two pair or trips on fourth. Then you were very lucky that the fourth-street raiser was on your immediate right so you could reraise everyone else out before they made a bigger two pair or trips on a later street. Then you got lucky again when you bagged a winning out on the river. That's a helluva parlay sequence.

If you keep playing 662o in multiway pots it's going to cost you a lot of money in the long run. You're not going to get many hands where absolutely everything goes right like it did on this one. If the 2 is suited that's a little better but even that's only marginally playable.

So your play was okay from 4th street on, but you really shouldn't have played the hand at all to begin with. I know it's a tough fold, but you have to make these or you're giving up a lot of your edge over the fish who play these types of hands.

TRLS
Old 05-14-2002, 11:18 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the response. While I agree with much of what you said. The very fact that I was LAST to act in a pot in which everyone has called (unraised pot) in a game which (usually) people will pay you off all the way is the very reason you can play a hand such as this on 3rd. ( with two suited cards )

Later,

CJ
Old 05-16-2002, 10:47 PM

CJ: The answer is "Vide infra". You did the right thing. It was marginal, but none-the-less correct. Take the mother *%c*&# down. It's your marginal/profitaable win for the next 500 hands.