Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 04:47 AM

Default Filtering Standards, Mining Hands, Table Selection

1) Does anyone have any general good filtering system for hands in the PT database? I did a very general >50% V$PIP combined with <5% PFR as my fish label, but I'm not real happy. Anyone know of a good set of guidelines?

2) What tables do you select to hand mine? I tend to just pick some big action tables, because thats where the bad players tend to be. Is this a decent idea?

3) How do you convert what you find in your PT database to hand selection? Do you add the fishies to your friends list and look? Do you sit at a table, and look for familiar faces? Or do you tend to use PT to track the good players and the people you should be avoiding?

FYI I am fairly new to limit, and have played only 4k hands at 5/10 on Party. VP$IP is 19.11, PFR is 11.73, BB/100 is 2.18. Those look ok?

Thanks for the help,
-Jason
Old 10-27-2004, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Filtering Standards, Mining Hands, Table Selection

I do use the auto rate to get some pretty pictures on the external game time window but it would not worry me too much if it were not there. I classify 6 types only, the 4 extremes and whether they are P or Ag.

The 3 main things I look at are VP$IP, PFR% and AF-Tot

When I look at a table I am just looking to avoid the TAGs, would prefer it if there were no Rocks and would like to be well positioned over a LAG.

The most profitable (and frustrating [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) tables are those with LP players; I try to find those.

If I have no exported PT notes for a player, I assume them to be a LP until proven otherwise.

t
Old 10-27-2004, 10:40 AM

Jason, If you go to the PT forums and search for "Auto-Rate" (no quotes), you'll find a link to a few auto-rate config files that are good. I used TTxxxx's (can't remember his handle, but it starts with TT). It is working out very well for me. He used BisonBison's configuration and modified it a little bit to account for a few things, like maniacs.

I posted a link to the file on the MTT board here, but the PT server doesn't allow remote linkng, hot-linking, or whatever, so you'll just have to go find it. It's worth the trouble.

--Casey
Old 10-27-2004, 11:15 AM

Stats look ok, but not enough numbers for WR but you know that. I was at 3.5BB/100 first 4k hands, cut to 2.5k hands later and it's 0.44BB/100 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Soz had to get my downswing whine in somewhere ;P You "could" be looser and more aggressive preflop but its certainly not a neccesity.

Wouldn't you know it I go on now and have a +50BB session in about 150hands.

Anyway more specifically answering your question on datamining I like to mine 20tables at once (4 at each skin) if you do that table selection just isn't an issue.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:14 PM

jason, you are going to love the 5/10 games. I use the pokertracker gametime windows and find them really helpful. from my experience 5/10 6max seems to be composed of a few good players and mostly the biggest brain dead fish you will ever come across.

oddly enough, the games seem passive preflop but players are more aggressive on the later streets.

--turnipmonster
Old 10-27-2004, 04:27 PM

This file seems to be more suited towards full ring games instead of short-handed games. Does anyone one know if there are any decent rule sets out there for the short games?
Old 10-27-2004, 05:10 PM

I don't auto-rate but these may be helpful

one

two