Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who was this $500 Empire bonus designed for?
What bonus? 15 18.75%
Only Ed Miller 19 23.75%
Nobody 22 27.50%
Only new players- as a sign up 20 25.00%
Everybody- as a reload 4 5.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2004, 05:02 PM

Default What would you call with here?

Imagine the following situation. You have some number of BB on the button, midway through an SnG. A player in MP, also with about the same number of BB open-raises to 3xBB, and it's folded to you. Assume for the sake of argument that the blinds are tight and you don't expect them to call. Also assume that your stack size is around average stack at the moment.

You regard this player as somewhat solid, but capable of making post-flop mistakes (both folding at the wrong times, and calling at the wrong times). You don't regard him as too tight or too loose necessarily, just decent that could use a little work on plugging some leaks.

You look down and see two cards.

(Note: this post is modified slightly from the previous version, partly due to SmileyEH's reply to the other thread; which I deleted because you can't modify a poll after the fact.)
Old 10-23-2004, 09:30 PM

Default Re: What would you call with here?

With 50xBB, three of you wouldn't call a 3xBB raise with 55? How do you people build stacks?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:31 AM

Wow...now I know where I make my profits...people calling 15% of their stack off with KQo. Absolutely terrible.

The only call in the survey is 55 with 50xBB for me.

GO SOX!

-SmileyEH
Old 10-24-2004, 03:02 AM

I find it interesting that KJs is a pretty common call hand (while AJo is not) in all three cases, yet 55's popularity drops steeply.

I mean, I know why, but it's still interesting.

As to obvious folds, SmileyEH, this poll was less to answer my questions than to see what everyone else's reply.

Anyone care to defend their answers? For example, I think that 98s is a clear call with 50xBB; it's a small portion of your stack and if you hit the flop hard your hand is disguised and you can easily win his stack. Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2004, 05:13 AM

I'm not entirely sure whether I understand your scenario.

You say "midway through an SNG". I take that to mean that there are 5 players left.

If so--- I'm really surprised at how tight the respondents are, considering the size of the stacks involved.

If midway through an SNG means something else (like 7 or 8 players, but 50/100 blinds) then that changes things quite a bit.

I'm a Party player though--- and the question doesn't make much sense. Midway through a tournament, two players with 30xBB is very rare, two with 50xBB just doesn't happen
Old 10-24-2004, 05:28 AM

I agree that with 50xBB, 98s is a clear call... I think that with position, any of the hands in the poll are clear calls with 50xBB. It doesn't make any sense to fold to such a small raise, when any solid player with a big stack will be raising 3xBB with a very large range of hands.

At least-- with 50xBB, I would be raising 3xBB with any of those hands at least some of the time.

My only concern with calling with those hands would be the stack sizes of the blinds--- are they going to force me to call their all-in?
Old 10-24-2004, 05:58 AM

The poll here is not an accurate judgement of calling requirements....I will call with every one of those hands with 50xbb, if my opponent also has 50xbb. That is really the only important thing. I wouldn't call most of those hands if my opponent couldn't add a sizable amount to my stack.

If he is too short to make much of a difference I am reraising with the group of hands that I will play w/50xbb in the situations where I don't have good implied odds. Otherwise I will fold(55 is an easy fold in that situation).
Old 10-24-2004, 01:05 PM

The only call in the survey is 55 with 50xBB for me.

You should be calling with 30xBB too, and 20 if I've read the question right.

Edit: The other hands are garbage and should only be played in certain scenarios.

Lori
Old 10-24-2004, 06:04 PM

30xBB is possible for 55, but there is no way I would ever call getting less than 7-1 implied odds for 55. You would have to win your opp's stack EVERY time, and NEVER lose after flopping a set for this to be profitable.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-24-2004, 06:06 PM

You are calling 2 bets with a stack of 20 was how i read it.

I agree, if it's 3 it's a fold.

Lori