Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 05:49 AM

Default best breed of dog

I'm thinkin it's got to be lab. white lab, black lab, chocolate lab. whatever. their disposition must be the best for the average person. Labs are loyal, know when to be protective and when to be social, and are easily trained. Labs also have the perfect muscle mass to kindness ratio to scare the daylights out of the bad guys and be nice to your friends (with the proper introduction). Worst breed is Rottweiler and Pit Bull for obvious reasons. I know with very careful socialization these dogs can be OK. But the fact of the matter is that they are not pre-disposed for most peoples' needs. Another "bad" dog breed in my opinion is Alaskan Malamute. These dogs are actually pretty nice to humans but they have a mind of their own. They are super high maintenance and when it comes to training will drive most people nuts. teaching a malamute to come is a herculean task and should only be attempted if you are an expert dog owner.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:08 AM

Default Re: best breed of dog

i like labs but they seem a tad dull to me - rottweilers are great dogs - stories of thier dangerous nature are crap - the only dog stereotype i adhere to is that small ones are always yappy and cranky

my favourite is great dane - huge, regal, gentle and loyal - i'm still in mourning since my dane died about a year ago - for 11 years i had to leave work so the water dude could check my meter - never bothered locking the house - cant bear getting another one so after some research i'm going for an irish wolfhound

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 10-22-2004, 08:12 AM

Rhodesian Ridgeback
Old 10-22-2004, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rhodesian Ridgeback

[/ QUOTE ]

Are those the lion hunters?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:02 AM

I love labs too. I think one of the prettiest dogs is the English Springer Spaniel.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:12 AM

i believe so

sounds ok for the reasons given, maybe a little more training

i really want a great dane or bulldog---i need something in the house lazier than i. do you think that the toaster counts

cheers
beer
Old 10-22-2004, 10:24 AM

I love english bulldog's...

Old 10-22-2004, 10:44 AM

German Shorthaired Pointer. Not the specked kind, but the solid chocolate brown version. Beautiful, masterful bird dogs, not to mention highly intelligent, gentle and very sociable.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:10 AM

I work in an animal hospital so I am pretty familiar with most breeds of dogs.

Labs are the blondes of the dog world, pretty to look at, and very friendly but dumb as [censored].

The OP's understanding of rottweilers and pit bulls is very misguided. These dogs get a bad reputation because many times the kind of owner who would want one is a dumb prick with a small penis who feels the need to compensate with a mean dog. Most of them have great personalities and are harmless, the only problem is when they make mistakes, they make big mistakes.

German short haired pointers are pretty friendly and full of energy. You will have to spend alot of time wearing these dogs out or they will just go crazy, at least they go crazy when they are confined to a hospital cage for a couple days. Even worse are weimereiners, the most annoying dog known to man. They are beautiful to look at, but imagine a 6 year old kid with ADD, no ridalin, and a handful of pixie sticks.

As far as big dog's go, Danes and Wolfhound are magnificent animals and are quite obedient and loyal. But who can really live with a dog that size, they need their own stable, and you need a snow shovel to clean up after them.

Ridgebacks have a lot of great attributes, they are a good size, but not too big, very friendly, not overly exciteable, and they have the cool ridge of fur going the wrong way. Hours of entertainment in that alone. If I had to pick one of the dogs mentioned so far i'd go with the Rhodesians.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rhodesian Ridgeback

[/ QUOTE ]

Are those the lion hunters?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes they are, we recently got a new dog that we thought/think is part rhodesian. They are beautiful dogs, but they are also not to big. Good dogs.

My vote goes for boxers.