Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 05:20 PM

Default First three SNGs

I'm completely new to tournament play of any kind. To dip my toe in, I've played three 5/1 single-table games at Party. In two of the three games, there was an early all-in suicide pact (not including me, of course) and the guy with the empty chamber had a huge stack advantage until sometime in level 4 or 5. Is this common in most tourney structures and levels?

I noticed that if you make a play sometime early on, but end up having to lay it down, you're in bad shape going into level 4 as the blinds will now eat up 1/4-1/3 of your stack, not leaving much wiggle room. Paying for levels 1-4 costs 37% of your starting stack as it is. Is this what encourages the kamikazee plays in the early levels?

Eric
Old 10-21-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: First three SNGs

I'd say it would have more to do with the total lack of skill that alot of players possess at this level...Going all in w/out AA or KK early on in a 5 dollar tournament is not well advised. Play tight early on and switch gears and get aggressive at level 4 or 5...I recomend you check out the FAQ at the top of this forum for some good strategy on Sit N Go's...Also, check out MJ's Party Poker Strategy Guide site for another excelent strategy guide.

Follow these guides and you will be profitting in no time...
Old 10-21-2004, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm not worried about my play. I'm merely interesting in the influence of structure on playing decisions, particularly those of other players. What should I expect to vary in typical play in various structures and levels?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:32 PM

Why wouldn't you go all-in with AA or KK if you thought you were going to get callers? At a $5, $10 or $10,000 SNG?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:45 PM

I think that people are stupid enough at this level for an argument to be made for going in with QQ and AKs as well, especially QQ.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:49 PM

I agree; I'm not sure it's a winning case, but it's a case. I've certainly gone all-in w/ QQ early on in the $10 and $20 SNGs at Party.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:53 PM

He's not saying that, just that he doesn't want to be all in without AA or KK.

And yeah, those Party fish are really something else.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:57 PM

i see that now - i misread it. apologies.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:03 PM

This is as good a jumping off point for what I'm wondering as anything. If it's still level 1, we can assume the stacks are between 600 and 1000. Let's say you are holding QQ. Assume you initiate the suicide pact and get two callers, both of whom hold only one overcard to your queens, you are only a teeny bit more than even money against the two of them. If you get the empty chamber, you expect to triple up. Is this a reasonable gamble at this point in the tournament?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:15 PM

Yes. 2:1 odds on a coinflip is always good. You can't pass it up, ever.