Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 01:08 AM

Default The reflections of ThaSaltCracka

a few things.....

1. I didn't drink nearly enough, but thats good because I will explain why later

2. The weaknesses of the Yankees were truely exposed in games 4-7. Poor starting pitching and old slow players. I don't think this is a choke because the player that essentially lost the series for them(Rivera) is the main reason they made the playoffs in the first place, ergo, the man was tired. They can't expect him to pitch every night and have his A game, [censored], they can't even expect him to have his B game everytime either. Gordon was an above average setup man, not great, but not bad. I am amazed these guys were even able to pitch as much as they did. Also the starting pitching was worthless, except for the first two games. Brown might be the worst addition of the year for this team, especially when you consider his price, health, and post season performance.

2. Boston was the better team, but for some reason they didn't win the east [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], whatever though, they were still better, and in fact they had a better bench and D(mostly because of the Nomar trade).

3. AROD is a douche bag

4. Damon was going to blow up, and he did, I said he would too.

5. This has to be the year they win it too, because this team will be completely different next year.

6. I can't stand fans who say "we" when talking about teams. I was at the bar watching the game, pounding beers, and behind me, this idiot keeps on yelling out the score as if we all can't see. When Damon hits his second homerun he says "Yes, we are now up 8-1". You know what dipshit, you don't play for them, so there is no we, there is just them. Anyways, then he says to his wife/gf "Damon never hits homeruns, he is like Ichiro". I really hate listening to people who know nothing about baseball talk like they do. They simple fact this guy said this tells me that he is in fact not a true Bosox fan, because any Bosox fan knows Damon hits way more HR's than Ichiro. Anyways, it took all my presonal strength not to tell this moron to shut the [censored] up, good thing I didn't drink that much. I left shortly afterwards to watch Team America again... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] sad night.

7. I had a feeling whoever won this game was going to win big. I just had that feeling.

8. Amazing series and a truely amazing story. Hopefully all this nonsense about a curse will go away, and hopefully all the bitching stops.

9. Amazing series, excluding games 3 and 7.

10. glad GTA:SA comes out on tuesday....gives me an excellent excuse not to watch the WS [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2004, 01:13 AM

Default Re: The reflections of ThaSaltCracka

forgot one thing, they [censored] almost got swept!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2004, 01:15 AM

Good reflections.

One thought about the choke, and the old slow players. To put it on poker terms, I look at this as a AK vs. JJ type of hand. The JJ is slightly favored, and picked to win. In this series though, the flop came AK2, and the Sox hit the J on the river to win. If the board was reversed, it wouldn't have been a shock, just a team that was favored in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, the comeback is amazing, but I just feel like the best hand held up in the end, for some of the reasons you mentioned. I told my wife after game 4, about how no team had come back from 0-3 (she was veeerrrryyyy interested [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). But I thought the Sox were the better team from the beginning, and told her it wouldn't surprise me if they're the first baseball team to do it.

Anyway, what a great post-season. I hope the WS holds as much drama, and it doesn't turn out like last year's where the two LCS's were amazing, yet I can't really remember much from the specific games in the WS.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:20 AM

I am not sure if i posted this one here, but I told a buddy at work before both of these series started I honestly though it was going to be Houston-Boston. Of course because I am a Yankees fan I am gonna talk [censored] and try to taunt the sox fans, but their team seemed better, and Houston just seemed to Hot. I still think Houston wins it all, but if they lose tomorrow, I will have to change my choice to Boston.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:20 AM

I don't see how Rivera "essentially lost the series for them." He gave up a run in the 9th inning of game 4. That was the only run he gave up in the series. They still could have won that game in extra innings. Or the next game. Prior to Pedro's appearance tonight, the Yankees had scored only seven runs total in games 5, 6 and 7 and Jeter had driven in five of them.

I've been worried about their starting pitching all year. But if Rivera had not walked the leadoff hitter in the 9th in game 4, we'd be saying what an awesome performance it was for the Yankees in the Championship Series.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:24 AM

The Sox had a better runs scored/runs allowed ratio than the Yanks. The Yankees hit a lot of home runs and had a good combo (up until the end) in Gordon and Rivera.

I'd say the two teams were evenly matched, as they were last year. Throw out the 10-4 and 19-8 games, and the scores were 10-7, 3-1, 5-4 in extra innings, 6-4 in extra innings and 4-2. Good tight, tough games.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:24 AM

I mean technically he lost it for them. He seemed tired to me, and his velocity suffered because of that. This Rivera we saw was not the same one we saw in late august.

I agree the bats let the team down as well, but if Rivera had been fresher, pishh, series over, and I have no doubt about that.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:26 AM

For all the ribbing we've been giving each other, I don't think you're fall off here. Nice post.

I agree they were closely matched teams. I just thought the Sox were a little bit better, based mostly on the reasons you stated before the playoffs started - shaky starting pitching.

Maybe AK vs. 22 would have been a better analogy.

I'm still in shock at two things.

1. You are old enough to drink.

2. You have a job.