Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Caught on a steal, do i have to call this all-in?

Only getting 1.6/1 and there's a real good chance I'm dominated. I fold and I have 6xBB, blinds going up to 100/200in 3 min.

$5 PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed)

MP (t1445)
CO (t2590)
Button (t3060)
Hero (t1455)
BB (t1875)
UTG (t3075)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t1875</font>
Old 10-19-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Caught on a steal, do i have to call this all-in?

I think you are actually getting 995/1895 which is about 1.9/1 as you only have 995 chips left not the amount in the BBs stack, which it appears you have used. I think I call this one because you are not quite pot committed although you should be and blinds vs blind steals and resteals can be a wide range of hands in my opinion, some of which you are in good shape against, especially when you consider the odds you are getting on your money.

Regards Mack
Old 10-19-2004, 08:42 PM

Here's the thing. If you push preflop, you take away the possibility (in most cases) of getting called with crap. Some people will fold to an all-in who would've played back at you when you raise to 450. I certainly am the type of player who sees weak raises and goes after them (with crap).

Hence, push, it's easier, and you wont have any tough decisions like these.

I think if this is a decision for you, you ought to have just push or folded preflop. When you raise to ~3xBB with ~10xBB you should have a plan.

-Jason
Old 10-19-2004, 08:59 PM

You are, of course, 100% correct.
For some reason though I hate the idea of going into push mode here as its still 6 handed and I'm not really short stacked relative to the table. But yeah, I should probably be pushing regardless to max my FE.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:17 PM

I agree with you to a certain extent here - risk (of ruin) vs reward means that I think you should be careful with stacks of 8-10BB. However, "careful" doesn't mean raising smaller, it means raising with less hands. AT is too good to fold, which means you have to push. I would limp or fold with hands a lot of others would push with though. Something like A7s there's no way I am pushing and you'll find a lot of people willing to do so.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:49 PM

Ok here's another gem, caught again but this time just a call. I just want to make sure that this push is the correct play as its pretty much my default move after a steal when the flop is rags. Villain is solid.

$5 PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed)

BB (t4108)
UTG (t746)
MP (t3480)
Hero (t2040)
SB (t3126)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, SB calls t375, BB folds.

Flop: (t1050) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1590 (All-In)</font>
Old 10-19-2004, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are, of course, 100% correct.
For some reason though I hate the idea of going into push mode here as its still 6 handed and I'm not really short stacked relative to the table. But yeah, I should probably be pushing regardless to max my FE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you didn't push I would fold. You still have over 1000 in chips and you can push on your next steal. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok here's another gem, caught again but this time just a call. I just want to make sure that this push is the correct play as its pretty much my default move after a steal when the flop is rags. Villain is solid.

$5 PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed)

BB (t4108)
UTG (t746)
MP (t3480)
Hero (t2040)
SB (t3126)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, SB calls t375, BB folds.

Flop: (t1050) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1590 (All-In)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure a pure bluff here is the correct move. I think your going to get called by overpairs too often in this spot. I put the SB on 1010 or JJ
Old 10-19-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Let\'s figure this out

SB 75
BB 150

SB Hero raises from 75 to 450

600 in the pot

BB calls 300, (now 900 in pot) and raises Hero all in

Hero has 1005 more

The odds on the call are 1905:1005, or 1.9 to 1

What hands could he be raising with:

ATo is much better than 1.9 to 1 against pairs less than ten, aces worse than AT, and K and Q high hands.

AT is about 2.5/3 to 1 dog against KK-TT, and AK-AJ.

It is a huge dog to AA

With an A in your hand, there are only 3 ways to make AA, and only 12 ways each to make AK-AJ, 3 ways to make TT, and 6 ways each to make JJ-KK.

So, you aren't getting the proper odds to call 60 potential hands (4.5% of all possible hands), but AA is the only truly horrible hand for you.

[BTW - If you don't know how I am getting these figures and odds, stop playing for money until you learn]

It would not be completely irrational to call here IF you put him on a resteal or a small pair.

The main problem was raising 1/3 of your stack in the first place.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Let\'s figure this out

[ QUOTE ]

[BTW - If you don't know how I am getting these figures and odds, stop playing for money until you learn]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Classic.

I was actually playing as I posted and I just glanced at the stacks as I typed. It wasn't a logic based error.