Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Worcester

After the way McCarver tortured the pronounciation of Tanyan Sturze's and my hometown I thought it would be useful to post a little primer on the proper pronounciation of the the city in the heart of the Commonwealth. Who knows some day your boss may send you here for whatever reason and you can use this to avoid embarrassment.

McCarver pronounced it Wooster. Wrong, that city is somewhere in Ohio, I think. We also hear Worchester alot too but that's way off too. First thing, forget the r's. We just don't use them up here. Except on words that don't have them, like Tacoma. We say "Tacomer". That's so we don't waste all those r's.

Also forget the "c". Don't need it. Now this isn't perfect because it's virtually impossible to do it phonetically(you just have to live here for a long time to really get it), but if you say it like this, you'll get by:

Wustah
Old 10-19-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Worcester

Now, that's interesting because I had a colleague from Worcester, who went to WPI and he always pronounced it "Wooster". Is this a tomayto-tomahto thing??
Old 10-19-2004, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he always pronounced it "Wooster".

[/ QUOTE ]

There is definately no R. Like Toro said it ends in AH.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, that's interesting because I had a colleague from Worcester, who went to WPI and he always pronounced it "Wooster". Is this a tomayto-tomahto thing??

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated from WPI as well. But I've lived here all my life. Was your colleague originally from Worcester?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:27 AM

Tewksbury: for those who live there:
Tooksbury, just like, I took her virginity.

For outsiders:
Tewwwwwksbury, where Tewwww= Too, The way bob Tewwwwwwwwksbury pronounces his name.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:28 AM

Hmm...not for sure, but I think so. We worked together down in Tampa for about 3 months back in 2000.

Now that I think about it, he probably did pronounce it Woostah.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:31 AM

Why does Tim McCarver insist on making the same point over and over and over and over again. I can't stand the friggen guy. Ya, if Posada let the bunt drop, he could have turned two with it. OK, we get the point, and, oh yeah, you never made a bad play in your entire life, right McCarver? They're out there trying to make bad plays, right? They're not trying their best or anything. Mistakes have nothing to do with the fact that the game is hard and requires split second decisions sometimes.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:41 AM

Not pronouncing the first "r" in Worcester is fine because Worcester is a proper name and that seems to be the way it has long been pronounced.

The typical Boston accent however is just plain wrong. Saying "idear" or "watah" are unjustifiable mispronunciations.

I grew up in the Boston suburbs, and even lived in Boston for a few years. My parents hailed from the Midwest, and I took phonics in the first and second grades. I never had the urge to so butcher the English language, and I strongly suspect that any first or second-grade Phonics student would seriously balk at the prospect of saying "idear" or "watah".

Also, although I hate to say it, the Boston accent sounds DUMB to everyone else. That's simply because it is. Not being able to properly pronounce trailing R's and A's without transposing them every time, in one's native language, is not exactly something to be proud of.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not being able to properly pronounce trailing R's and A's without transposing them every time, in one's native language, is not exactly something to be proud of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:50 AM

The "orce" in "Worcester" (MA) is pronounced like the "oo" in took.

Leaving off the last "r" in Worcester is just a manifestation of the typically misguided Boston accent.