Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Hawks/Pats pregame

Ok, it looks like we're all avoiding talking about the big game for fear of jinxing our favorite team. But I haven't said much because I just can't get a good read on this year's Patriots. Sure they beat Indy, but they just haven't really impressed me other than winning.

Of course this was the discussion up in these parts all last year. They just don't get many style points while winning game after game after game.

So, I guess I'd rather hear about Seattle. Don't know a thing about them other than their QB is a former BC grad who I was never really impressed with but recently heard some talking head say he was the 4th best QB in the league.

Is he really that good and can he get it done vs. a Belicheck defense or maybe this isn't even the key to the game? What exactly do the Seahawks need to do to stop the Patriots win streak at 19?
Old 10-16-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Hawks/Pats pregame

Cmon, I thought at least Salty would reply to this. You're not all ascared, are you?
Old 10-16-2004, 12:46 PM

The biggest difference for New England this year is NOT Corey Dillon...it's the absence of Ted Washington. NE is definitely suceptible to a solid running game, as Edgerrin James showed in week 1.

Since then, NE hasn't really faced a good run. Seattle will test them, with Shaun Alexander. Seattle will need to try to control the clock, and work to keep Tom Brady and Co. off the field.

On the other side of the ball, Seattle is a little small on defense, but very quick. This means that Seattle will probably benefit from a healthy Corey Dillon, as they'll have a more difficult time stopping Antowaine Smith. With the passing game, Seattle may not have the depth in the secondary to match up with a lot of spread formations. Lucas and Trufant can likely match up with Givens and Patten, but can they match up with the 3 and 4 WR sets? Also, as much as I love Ken Hamlin, I think he'll struggle trying to stay with Daniel Graham. If Seattle has to blitz to get pressure on Brady, Brady will be able to slice and dice the secondary apart. As such, Seattle will have to be able to put pressure on the Q without blitzing to be successful on Defense.

It will, of course, be a good game. I think it will come down to Seattles WRs dropping passes. If they drop passes, drives will stall, regardless of the running game. Also, with NEs strong, swarming defense, dropped passes will be picked too easily. If the WR catch the ball, Seattle will win by a FG. If they don't, NE will win by 7.

Or, this is all coming outta my arse...

Josh
Old 10-16-2004, 01:22 PM

I'm sorry, but did you really say you can't get a good read on the Pats? They win 19 in a row and you can't get a good read on them??
Old 10-16-2004, 01:27 PM

Actually, you've hit on an area that is one of my biggest worries, run defense. The rookie, Wilfork appears to be coming on though as he had a real good game against Buffalo.

But you are right about Ted Washington. Last year we didn't worry about the run at all with him in the middle and teams stopped trying. This was a huge advantage as Belicheck would sometimes use 6 defensive backs. Tough to pass against that.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:30 PM

On this years team. This years team hasn't won 19 in a row, only 4 in a row against 3 vs mediocre opponents. And like I said in my original post, they never get style points. Brady for example didn't complete a pass in the 2nd half last week.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cmon, I thought at least Salty would reply to this. You're not all ascared, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. the key to this game will be Seattles running game. if they are effective it will only open up the passing game even more. I think the score will be close, but I will of course say Seattle wins 21-18.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:20 PM

Pats get out fast to nurse my hangover.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:39 PM

hey me too.

suck it saltcracka! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 03:11 PM

time to switch bandwagons New Englander's