Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 02:51 PM

Default I really like Ray Allen

Sonics' Allen rips into Kobe as 'very selfish'
FOXSports.com
Posted: 8 minutes ago

Seattle Sonics All-Star guard Ray Allen offered stinging criticism of Kobe Bryant, calling the Lakers' superstar "very selfish," among other things, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Allen ripped Bryant after it was revealed former Lakers coach Phil Jackson was also very critical of No. 8 during their championship run together in Los Angeles.

"He's going to be very selfish," Allen said of Bryant this upcoming season. "And he feels like he needs to show this league and the people in this country that he is better without Shaq. He can win championships without Shaq. So offensively, he's going to jump out and say, 'I can average 30 points. I can still carry the load on this team.'"

Allen, like Bryant, was selected in the 1996 NBA Draft. But the former UConn star doesn't seem to question whether Bryant could average 30 points.

"He has the talent, he can do it," Allen said. "But is his attitude going to allow him to take a back seat and let Lamar Odom shine and let Caron Butler have his nights and bring those big guys along with him?"

Allen also feels much of the Lakers' success will ultimately be determined by Bryant's willingness to incorporate others into the offense.

"If Kobe doesn't see he needs two and a half good players to be a legitimate playoff contender or win a championship in about a year or two he'll be calling out to Jerry Buss that 'We need some help in here,' or 'Trade me,'" Allen said. "And we'll all be saying, 'I told you so,' when he says that."

Bryant re-signed with the Lakers during the summer for more than $130 million over the next seven seasons. But Allen seems to feel Bryant likes to turn their meetings into personal one-on-one battles due in large part to being drafted the same year.

"He thinks — in his mind — that he's going to shoot and try to show me up at any point in time on the floor," Allen said. "But his mentality and mine are different. I've got to do what it takes to help the team win."

At one point during the Sonics' exhibition victory Tuesday night, Bryant blocked a layup attempt and stared at Allen, who had fallen to the floor. At another point, Bryant reportedly bumped into Allen and talked trash.

"I think he talks because he feels like he has to talk," Allen said. "He's out there playing, and if he does something good I feel like he needs to pat himself on the back because to me, it seems like he's isolated out there. As much as it's five-on-five, I don't see much camaraderie going on out there with his teammates."

Seattle hosts the Lakers during the regular season Dec. 14.

Stay tuned.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: I really like Ray Allen

On a completely unrelated note:

I moved Ray Allen into his house in Falls City when he came up to Seattle and it's freaking PIMP! His fiancee at the time (don't know if they're married or split now) was freaking HOTT too.

GoT
Old 10-15-2004, 03:07 PM

do you live up here?
Old 10-15-2004, 03:11 PM

do you live up here?

I grew up in Woodinville, Bothell, and Kirkland, moved down to SoCal for college, dropped out and came back up to Kirkland for a year, and just moved back down here a month and a half ago.

GoT
Old 10-15-2004, 03:31 PM

ah, I am in Bellevue.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ah, I am in Bellevue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

I wish we could find a freakin' center with Ray Allen's attitude and skills. Maybe Swift will grow up extra fast.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:43 PM

I am waiting to hear what Gary Payton has to say about Kobe Bryant (or have I missed that already lol).
Old 10-15-2004, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish we could find a freakin' center with Ray Allen's attitude and skills. Maybe Swift will grow up extra fast.

[/ QUOTE ] Thats hoping and asking a lot, but maybe Collison will make a big dent this year.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:03 PM

We all loved him when he played at UCONN.

scrub
Old 10-15-2004, 07:12 PM

I heard Calabro on KJR yesterday talk about Swift....maybe he's not the answer but I guess he works his ass off and keeps his mouth shut