Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 04:05 PM

Default Ethical Question

Single table 7-card stud (low stakes -- actually play chips when it happened, but the other person says he's done this in money games too).

Three left in the game. Two with relatively even stacks, and a third who hasn't made a bet other than bring-ins and ante's in 40 or 50 hands, and is obviously 'not playing'.

One of the two players says -- 'let's just check everything until there's just the two of us'.

Collusion, obviously.

Ethical??
Old 10-13-2004, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Ethical Question

Absolutely NO.

You can DO it, but you can't SAY it.

Doc
Old 10-13-2004, 04:17 PM

And when someone else says it?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:48 PM

Since you say "single table" I am assuming you are in a tournament or sng. Therefore getting up and finding another table is probably not an option.

I would ignore it, as if you had not heard it or had chat turned off online. You probably don't want to be the one that called the floorperson to report it, and you certainly don't want to get into a discussion of table ethics while you are playing which would tend to involve you in the situation. Online, I would turn chat off and play my own game, if finding another table was not an option.

I am by no means a cardtable lawyer. Others may have more knowledge or experience in how this should be handled.

Doc
Old 10-13-2004, 05:33 PM

I wouldn't say this is 'cheating', but its a gray area. I once was in a SNG when my hard drive crashed, I had to re-assemble another computer, download PP via dial-up and get back on the table. When I left it was 9 handed, I came back to 4 handed play.

I've seen some players come-and-go, I believe some do try to cheat by sitting out and hoping they place ITM as others play their normal game. I think that's much worse than splitting the stack of the absentee player.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen some players come-and-go, I believe some do try to cheat by sitting out and hoping they place ITM as others play their normal game. I think that's much worse than splitting the stack of the absentee player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why this is bad... If it is profitable there is no reason why a person should not sit out.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:13 PM

Sitting out while on top of a large stack is not cheating. It's not exactly smart either as you can steal more often on the bubble.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:21 PM

if the big stack wants to sit out i'm all for it. i dont' think it's cheating either. what's the difference if he played but just folded every hand? this is just more convenient
Old 10-13-2004, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sitting out while on top of a large stack is not cheating. It's not exactly smart either as you can steal more often on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously for most players sitting out is not the most profitable line, but for some truly horrendous players it might be.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:49 AM

If say ..... ummmmm ...... your boss calls in the middle of an SnG, blinding out may be the ONLY strategy, since the negative ev of losing your job almost surely exceeds your equity in the game.