Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 04:43 AM

Default Should I have folded this hand so close to the bubble?

$20 PLHE tournament. 48 players left 45 get paid. I'm in about 10th with just over 20,000 TC. UTG+1 is 2nd or 3rd with about 30,000. He has been playing every other hand, calling most raises cold, and making mini raises when its folded to him.

Blinds 300/600. I have QQ
UTG +1 raises to 1200, Hero raises to 3600 in MP. Folded to UTG +1 who re-raises to 6000.

I decide to re-raise the pot for almost all of my chips. The rest go in on the flop.

Board ended up 9c 2c 7s 3h As, so I don't know how I could've avoided getting all-in by the turn if not sooner.

My queens lose to his kings, and I finish out of the money after being in very good shape. Would it be a big mistake to fold this hand at some point and wait to challenge the big stack after we make the money?
Old 10-11-2004, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Should I have folded this hand so close to the bubble?

When he reraises you he's being serious, the big stack isn't going to piss away his stack with crap like AJ to someone who could cripple him.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:54 AM

If your goal is to get in the money is good shape, I would fold QQ in the face of those raises and reraises, heck I would fold that hand in that spot whatever my goal might be. I agree that playing aggressively on the bubble is a sound strategy since everybody else is expected to tighten up to squeeze into the money, but that does seem like a bit of a gamble to me.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:11 AM

The facts that your opponent is in early position and is making miniraises rather than pot sized raises imply a big hand. Since he is the big stack, you want to look at how loose aggressive he has been playing.

There are only two hands that beat QQ, so I don't think this is an easy laydown. I would probably play it as you did, but you could fold to the reraise.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:09 PM

Theres only two hands that beat QQ, I dont see how you could lay it down or put the other guy on KK or AA.

But ... I might have just called his raise instead of re-raising, because there are a lot of hands with help from the flop that can beat QQ. (AK for example)

Although that wouldnt have helped you any haha.

Bottom Line: I dont think you did anything wrong ther.e Tough beat.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:17 PM

Well, you absolutely, positively must call the reraise for set value, even if he shows you his hand.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:18 AM

Thank you to all who have replied.

I analyzed this hand some more this afternoon at work and am starting to think that next time I may fold to his re-raise pre-flop.

By just calling his re-raise, the only way I'm going to know where I'm at is if I flop a set. If the flop comes rags he'd probably bet out whether he had AK or Kings. If the flop brings an Ace or a King, he would probably take a stab at the pot with Jacks. If I re-raise his flop bet, (am I wrong to assume that my opponent will almost always bet in front of me in this spot.) now I'm committing a good % of my chips not knowing where I'm at (granted I actually committed all of my chips not knowing where I was at, but I'm trying to figure out how to approach it next time.).

The pot is laying me 4 to 1 when I have to call his re-raise. Are the implied odds of doubling up when I do flop a set good enough to justify the many times I will have to fold on the flop and drop down to just another average stack? (I would especially like to hear from fnurt. What am I missing that it is worth calling another 2,400 chips if somehow I am positive my opponent has 2 aces)

It's situations like this that are holding my NL/PL game back. Please let me know if I'm completley off-base with my re-analysis of this hand.