Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 12:28 AM

Default HU Strategy

The (almost) ultimate goal is get to the final 2 players with the biggest stack. I am finding this situation (HU with the bigger stack) difficult to play because I don't know how tight to play. Obviously, the blinds are huge so you can't be real tight, but is there a more detailed basic strategy than just not being ultratight? I admit I do find HU a little boring, so maybe if I had a strategy to play, it would be a little more interesting - and profitable.

I don't see much in TPFAP or any previous threads on this site on HU strategy.)
Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Re: HU Strategy

With 8000 chips on the table, someone will necessarily have less than 10xBB once the blinds hit 200/400. At that point, anything other than pushing is arguably pointless. However, IMO, if your opponent will fold to minraises more often than he should, you may be able to exploit that for awhile (until he catches on, at which point you might want to change gears and start pushing as the default raise size).

Eastbay has said that at this blind level the best strategy and counter-strategy is to push all-in the top 60% of hands (roughly any pair/ace/king/queen, any two suited or connected cards higher than 8?), and call all-in the top 30% of hands (roughly any pair/ace, most big kings, any suited broadways?).

However, it is my theory that if opponent seems to be raising more tightly than proper according to eastbay's guide, I think your calling standards can tighten up, first off by dropping small aces (because of domination).
Old 10-07-2004, 02:02 AM

Hi Racers,

My general heads-up strategy is this: I want to win every hand where I have or catch something, and every hand where neither of us has or catches anything, leaving my opponent with only those hands where he has or catches something and I don't. Aggression, aggression, aggression.

Cris
Old 10-07-2004, 05:34 AM

Note that this analysis is for the best strategy in the sense that the smallest edge can be gained against it no matter what your opponent does.

That is very different from "best" in the sense of winning the most against a given opponent's strategy. Putting your opponent on a strategy and adjusting to him/it is where the big equity lies. Not in playing in a static way where you're guaranteed not to be more than a 2% dog (which is what the 70/30 strategy is). But if you're clueless, it's a good starting point. (not suggesting either you or the OP are clueless.)

eastbay
Old 10-07-2004, 09:50 AM

One other suggestion is play a few Heads Up sit and gos at stars to improve your game.

I like heads up because you get to play almost every hand.

I am just speculating but perhaps what you find boring is hu with shallow stacks becomes a bit like a crapshoot rather than poker.

HU with deep stacks is pretty interesting.

Just my two cents and good luck.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eastbay has said that at this blind level the best strategy and counter-strategy is to push all-in the top 60% of hands (roughly any pair/ace/king/queen, any two suited or connected cards higher than 8?), and call all-in the top 30% of hands (roughly any pair/ace, most big kings, any suited broadways?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Great stuff. Is this algorithm independent of stack size?

I am just speculating but perhaps what you find boring is hu with shallow stacks becomes a bit like a crapshoot rather than poker.

[ QUOTE ]

HU with deep stacks is pretty interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great stuff. Is this algorithm independent of stack size?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not.

eastbay
Old 10-07-2004, 03:47 PM

OK, let me just throw out a situation:

HU, Blinds = 300/600,

Your stack = 6500
Opponent stack = 1500

You are in the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

What's the play?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:56 PM

Push here he only has 900 to call and K high is likely good.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:59 PM

He would probably correctly call w anything. Even that pushing is correct since K4o is better than average hand and you are getting better than 1:1 to push since you post small blind.
w this blind and stack size, pushing w anytwo is not far off since you are getting 1:1.5 for his money and that covers 90% of possible hands. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]