Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 03:42 PM

Default QQ in big blind: am I too tight?

No read on the opponent other than that he has played his strong hands aggressively.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 (t1335)
MP1 (t1040)
MP2 (t1260)
MP3 (t825)
CO (t960)
Button (t930)
SB (t975)
Hero (t960)
UTG (t835)
UTG+1 (t880)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t70</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t170</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t520</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t700
<font color="green">Main Pot: t350 (t350), won by MP2.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t350 (t350), returned to MP2.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. MP2 wins t700. </font>
Old 10-06-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: QQ in big blind: am I too tight?

You are either too tight or too loose.

Limp and call the 70 is OK (QQ is a small pair) or push - like most of the crowd here will advocate.

But don't get half pregnant and waste a good chunk of chips without even seeing a flop with the 3rd best hand possible.

gl
Old 10-06-2004, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How true!

[ QUOTE ]

Limp and call the 70 is OK (QQ is a small pair) or push - like most of the crowd here will advocate.

But don't get half pregnant and waste a good chunk of chips without even seeing a flop with the 3rd best hand possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree--you definately don't fold. I don't play at UB, but given the buyin level at PP, I'd push in a heart beat (to the re-raise). Too many people try to "make a move" with low pairs or a mini-raise reraise that it doesn't bother me when they actually do it with AA's or KK's. Unless I have notes about this play that would convince me otherwise--push.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:18 PM

I have to agree with chill888 here, your post has been most helpful since Jason does not post much and all the other experts like philosophy of poker more than situations study now. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

You have to make a desicion before calling 70. If you don't believe he has high pair, call and push in w rags flop is probably a valid option. Otherwise, you shoot for set.

Reraise here does not give you more infomation since he will likely play AK the same way as well as AA or KK.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:20 PM

I agree you prolly need to either call here or push harder. You basically made the pot for him. Actually I think in this situation your already heads up with him and he raised a 30 dollar pot to 100. So a 150 chip raise is probably not going to be enough to buy this pot. I think calling would have to be the play as your in pretty fair shape right now and theres no reason to put yourself in this situation as your not really in need.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
Old 10-06-2004, 04:26 PM

I also have to say that me personally. While I cringe at this early on or from a good position this is probably exactly how I would have played it if I were in need. I would be very happy with the reraise in that circumstance.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe your "what?" is in reference to me calling QQ a small pair.

A few thoughts:

1. It's a joke!!!
2. QQ is far closer to JJ than KK. It is very susceptible to overcards especially since if you bet the hand and someone calls then at least an A or a K can be feared.

Thus early on ..... or against certain opponents .... it is a great hand to sometimes play cautiously.

I don't mean slow play. I mean take a look at the flop and speed up if no A or K falls.

Do i mean give up on the flop? NO!! A bet into an A or a K is often (usually) warranted. My point is, there is often a far better way to play QQ than just going all-in preflop.

Yes and this rock has folded QQ preflop a few times -- some of them against verifiable AA. e.g. A very good player - that knows you are also a good player - calls UTG and then reraises all in your raise. (That means AA). If the game is early and the stack is healthy it is a no brain fold.

Getting away from this hand is what separates us from the animals.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. QQ is far closer to JJ than KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, what?
Old 10-06-2004, 04:43 PM

Think he's saying if you see a flop with QQ you're likely to see an A or a K...