Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 02:56 PM

Default $2-4 vs. $3-6 on Party

Hey all,

I am rebuilding my live-game mid-limit bankroll, and am wondering about the differences in skill level between PP $3-6 & $2-4. I have more experience at live than online play, and most of my recent online efforts were devoted to 6-max work, so these games are somewhat unfamiliar.

I've put in a few thousand hands first 1, then 2, now 4-tabling $2-4 on Party, and while I'm waiting to get a statistical idea of the margin I'm beating the game by, I'm also thinking about the next step, which is $3-6, since I'm bankrolled for it already.

Can players who have made this transition post about how they adjusted their game and if they found any surprises?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Re: $2-4 vs. $3-6 on Party

The 3/6 is a bit tighter and more agressive but there are still plenty of fish in the sea. The biggest thing that I had to get used to was the increased occurence of blind steal situations. After posting a few of those situations on here and generally played out a few of them, I got used to it.

I'm beating 3/6 for the same amount as 2/4 allthough I have improved considerably in my time at 3/6.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:05 PM

Beating it at the same rate of big bets or beating it for the same amount of nominal dollars?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:05 PM

BB/100
Old 10-06-2004, 03:09 PM

Yeah, pretty similar. There are more fishy tables at 2/4 than 3/6, but you can still find 'em at 3/6. A bit tighter and more aggressive, but not significantly so, at least if you look for good tables.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:17 PM

Here's my take,

I'm a mid-limit live player who started playing Party the beginning of August. In 6 weeks I had turned $200 in $1800, paying .50/1, 1/2 and 2/4 and 3 weeks ago I made the jump to 3/6.

I think the 3/6 game is tougher than the 2/4 (or the 2/4 is softer), much more pre-flop raising, blind stealing and a larger percent of better players in the game. The 3/6 games plays similar to some Los Angeles 20/40 games. Now having said that, I think good players should be able to easily beat the game.

I currently play 2 tables at once and am thinking of acquiring hardware to play 4 with no overlap. At that time I may consider going back to 2/4, because the games are softer, you are making very few tough decisions, and the players are weaker.

Hope thst helps,
Regards, Jim
Old 10-06-2004, 03:23 PM

the avg player is still generally bad. perhaps a little less bad. maybe a little tighter and a little more aggressive. pots on avg will be a little less multiway. still tons of mulityway action, but just slightly to a lesser degree.

the frequency of bumping into other solid player will slightly increase to what you witnessed at 2/4. but fortunately bad players grossly out number the solid ones.

a little more money to be won.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and a larger percent of better players in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please! Don't make me laugh! I play there, that should speak for itself.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:53 PM

from what i have noticed the 3/6 is much more aggro...

I see a lot more 3betting preflop and a lot more raising on the turn. Table selection also becomes a bigger factor as there are many more solid players. There are still very weak players and maniacs, it just takes a little longer and a little more table jumping to find them...