Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 09:00 PM

Default overpair vs TAG

InterPoker 2/4, full table
UTG+1 is TAG, CO is loose passive

3 limpers to me in the SB, I raise 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB folds, 3 limpers call. (9SB)

Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I bet, UTG+1 raises, CO calls, button folds, I 3-bet, UTG+1 caps, we both call. (21SB)

Turn the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I check, UTG+1 bets, CO folds, I call. (12.5BB)

River the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I check, UTG+1 bets, I fold.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: overpair vs TAG

Why call the turn bet just to fold the river?
Old 10-05-2004, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3rd flush card hurt his equity against TAgg's possible range of hands.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:09 PM

Fold the turn or call the river, is raising 99 out of the SB standard in full ring, I only do it 2/3 of the time in 6max i'd say and its very dependant on the the limpers.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold the turn or call the river, is raising 99 out of the SB standard in full ring, I only do it 2/3 of the time in 6max i'd say and its very dependant on the the limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least then the reverse implied odds of a 99 overpair are offset by the pot he built.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:22 PM

I think the preflop raise was the easiest decision in this hand and pretty standard.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3rd flush card hurt his equity against TAgg's possible range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too many people continue to bet the turn with their flush draws instead of taking the free card like they should. I felt compelled to call this down until the third diamond hit, which put me behind any conceivable hand a TAG could have.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least then the reverse implied odds of a 99 overpair are offset by the pot he built.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? I've never heard of reverse implied odds before. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2004, 10:14 PM

i don't know alot about limit hold'em, but one thing i do know (or at least think i know) is that you need a really really really really strong read on this player to fold the river. unless you have such a read, and with online poker it is more likely that you don't than that you do, you need to either fold the turn or call down all the way. folding the river seems like a bad play to me. but then again, im a moron.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know alot about limit hold'em, but one thing i do know (or at least think i know) is that you need a really really really really strong read on this player to fold the river. unless you have such a read, and with online poker it is more likely that you don't than that you do, you need to either fold the turn or call down all the way. folding the river seems like a bad play to me. but then again, im a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called the turn planning to call the river if a non-flush card hits. When the flush hits I'm behind almost any possible hand the villain could have.