Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Easy fold with JJ on bubble

Last night on Party ($10), I was dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG. Blinds t200-4 handed. Hero(900) min raises to 400. Button(225) folds. SB(4600) calls. BB(2175) raises all-in. What should Hero do here? The button will blind out in 3 hands. I will post the results later.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Easy fold with JJ on bubble

The Hero should not put himself in this situation. He should raise all-in -- or fold if he feels like a weak-tight sneaky-sneak-into-3rd monkey.
Seriously though, I think you just have to push.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:53 PM

This is terrible. You are pot comitted and must call.

Push preflop instead.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-04-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Results

Flop
7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Turn
3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
River
10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB shows 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB shows K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2004, 01:54 PM

Don't be results oriented. You have the 4th best hand in hold'em with less that 5bb remaining. Push and most times you'll double up or win the blinds.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:59 PM

I actually don't mind this play, and will sometimes use it myself, but for very different reasons. You are so short-stacked here that doubling up won't necessarily help much, and the blinds are barely worth their weight in pixels. If the 4th stack doubles or triples through on his inevitable all-in, you can't just fold your way into the money.

With 900 chips, 200 blinds, and JJ, I'll take as many customers as I can get my hands on. Limp, min-raise, do whatever it takes to get as many chips in the middle as you can. A touch on the dangerous side if overcards hit, but I don't want third. So limp, and hope for a raise to get all your chips in pre-flop, or just push whatever cards come on the flop.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:26 PM

Definite push preflop. However now that youve committed half your stack you have to call. If you fold you will be looking at 3rd place at best. Button doubles up once and you could be out of the money. Might as well get your money in with what is likely the best hand and see if you can get yourself a stack. BB will usually not have you beat here.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:29 PM

Thats awful. If you want to wait the button out fold preflop, but pushing is way better. Yes you will bubble more but you will finish 2nd and win more as well which will be higher EV.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats awful. If you want to wait the button out fold preflop, but pushing is way better. Yes you will bubble more but you will finish 2nd and win more as well which will be higher EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been wondering about "waiting out" a super-short stack...my intuition is that your ROI will not suffer if you NEVER do this. That can't be far wrong, can it?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been wondering about "waiting out" a super-short stack...my intuition is that your ROI will not suffer if you NEVER do this. That can't be far wrong, can it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt say never but I think most people do it too much. As the short stack gets shorter (example: will be all in once in the blinds) and/or you are so short that you chances of moving up are very slim, waiting out the shorty becomes a more reasonable play.

But the whole idea is to avoid marginal situations, and having JJ clearly isnt a marginal situation here. The bubble is often the best place to steal no matter what place you are in.