Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2001, 01:58 AM

Default Big Bet Buy in

I have noticed in many pot limit/no limit games that sophisticated players that I believe are long term winners (at least in other forms of poker--pl/nl games are so rare in SoCal and Las Vegas) often buy in for a very small amount of money (the minimum).

I usually try to have close to as much money as anyone else on the table.

I imagine buying in for less gives you the advantage of being able to go all-in when you can get a favorable odds on a draw, but other than that, I don't see the logic.

In pl/nl games you can protect your hand with a big bet, but not if you go all in on the flop. . .
Old 11-18-2001, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Big Bet Buy in

I think the opposite must be true

the better players I have played with want to have enough chips to be able to either protect their hand, or to maximize a super hand in the right position

I've been playing in a WILD part holden, part omaha(high only) P/L game, and have elected a small buyin there to max my pot odds in some of the wild omaha hands when I have a good draw....BUT not at all sure I am doing right thing!!!!
Old 11-21-2001, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Big Bet Buy in

I thought like you for the longest time but now buy in for smaller amounts.

With a large buyin one must play big stack tight from the onset. Players will not give you action after seeing you so tight.

With a small buyin, you can go allin with a decent but not nut hand (even a drawing hand) and appear to be very loose. You get a loose table image. Later when your stack is big and you are playing tight, you might get more callers when you have the nuts.