Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2004, 07:05 PM

Default When to limp in and when to charge

I'm asking this because since i'm new i'm playing in lower stakes MT tourneys. But the last five that i've played in I've always made top 10% but only made the money once. I'm overall up so far by about double. But in a few of these tourneys I'll be near the fringe of the payout line but I'll come into a situation where I have a very good opportunity to move up signifigantly but most of the time it requires me to risk being out.

Case in point most recently. I'm in a 2+.25 tourney and I'm in 23rd out of 36 left. Top 20 get paid. Preflop I'm on the button with AK offsuit. Blinds are 400/800 and I have 12k chips. So I call the BB after one person called. SB goes all in with more than me. BB calls. The original caller goes all in. So I figure that this is an opportunity to go from 23rd to first since this pot is already more than the overall leader has.

I lose to 10 10 and am out. Is this a mistake?

11-20th only wins 2.80 so thats barely more than money back and first gets like 180+ am I looking at this wrong? Should I wait longer to make my move?
Old 10-03-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Re: When to limp in and when to charge

limping with big hands, esp. AK is usually a mistake.

Only time I limp is if I'm short stacked and desperate for a double up - then I'll take the gamble the flop hit someone and they'll push in for me... - otherwise I raise and if all I get are the blinds...no sweat.

RB
Old 10-03-2004, 07:54 PM

So you think my all in was a good play? Or are you saying that it's good but I should have done it on my initial bet?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:28 PM

That's no good... you don't wanna go in with AK against 3 other hands, especially if you think that there may be a pocker pair or two out there... You can pretty much assume that some of your outs are taken away from the two of the hands...
Old 10-03-2004, 08:46 PM

the other two were k q and q j
Old 10-04-2004, 11:24 PM

Well, yea, even if just one king was taken, that hurts your chances quite a bit. If I were in that situation, I would assume 2-4 outs taken away, and would fold every single time.