Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Small pairs (bubble decision)

Here's something that's been coming up frequently enough for me to notice, and I'm having a tough time playing.

Assume an average $5 or $10 SNG lineup. You're down to four-handed, everyone has close to the same amount of chips. Sitting on the button, you pick up anywhere from 22-77, and UTG folds. How do you tend to play this if:

1.) Players have 15-20 BB left, on average.

2.) Players have 25-30+ BB left, on average.

With a lesser stack, I'm getting comfortable pushing with these hands. But when everyone's equal-stacked, I'm less sure of how to play it. Thoughts?

-IdiotVig

P.S. How much does it change your decision if you're UTG?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Small pairs (bubble decision)

Are you sure this isn't a purely theoretical question? I mean, how often are you down to 4 with the blinds still at 50/100? I play about 20 $10-$20 SnGs a day on average and I see this happen maybe once every two or three days.

With that caveat...I don't think it matters how many BBs the 4 stacks have "on average." What matters to me is my stack size, the stack sizes of the small and big blinds, how soon the blinds are going up, whether the small/big blinds are passive or agressive & loose or tight, how likely they are to pay me off postflop, and similar considerations.

P.S. I just realized you may be playing on Stars, where all manner of wondrous things are said to be possible. In that case, disregard my first paragraph. When it comes to Stars SnGs, I *really* don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Small pairs (bubble decision) -- specific example

Sure, it's theoretical in nature. And yeah, they're stars SNGs. If you want a for example, I was on the button w/3600. Blinds are 50/100. SB has 3200, BB has 3800, UTG has 2900. UTG mucks, and I find 33. SB is loose/passive, BB is very loose and very aggressive. (May or may not be a "typical" lineup from the original post, but that's where it was.)

Next tourney, sorta the same situation. UTG has 4200, I'm on the button w/3500. Blinds are 100/200, and I pick up 55. SB has 2800, BB has 3000. UTG folds. Both blinds were tighter and less aggressive than the previous example.

It was just one of those bizarre situations that came up twice in a row that really messed with my head. I realize the original question was vague. If this helps, what would you do with these two hands?

-IdiotVig
Old 10-02-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Small pairs (bubble decision) -- specific example

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, it's theoretical in nature. And yeah, they're stars SNGs. If you want a for example, I was on the button w/3600. Blinds are 50/100. SB has 3200, BB has 3800, UTG has 2900. UTG mucks, and I find 33. SB is loose/passive, BB is very loose and very aggressive. (May or may not be a "typical" lineup from the original post, but that's where it was.)

Next tourney, sorta the same situation. UTG has 4200, I'm on the button w/3500. Blinds are 100/200, and I pick up 55. SB has 2800, BB has 3000. UTG folds. Both blinds were tighter and less aggressive than the previous example.

It was just one of those bizarre situations that came up twice in a row that really messed with my head. I realize the original question was vague. If this helps, what would you do with these two hands?

-IdiotVig

[/ QUOTE ]

In the first scenario, I would probably muck because of the loose&aggressive BB. He is unlikely to fold if I raise, and will likely lead out on the flop whether or not he has caught anything, forcing me to fold. Yes, I will probably win a big pot if I catch a set, but that won't happen often enough to jeopardize 5% of my stack when you figure in the possibility that the aggressive BB may re-raise me before the flop and force me to lay the hand down.

In the second scenario, I would make raise to 500 since I am so likely to win the blinds from these tight players, especially since neither of them is in desperation mode. If one of them calls, I might still be able to take the pot down on the flop without catching a set, since they are tight.