Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2004, 04:19 AM

Default Old Western Poker

Was bored and looked up the history of poker.

I read that in the late 1800's, when Poker came to the west, it used to be that if you bet more money than your opponent had at the table, he couldn't call your bet, thus you win the pot. So what's the point? If you had more cash than anyone else you could always bet more than what they had and never lose a pot.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Old Western Poker

that's probably how things like gold watches, deeds to the family farm and crap ended up in the middle - you can usually find a few more bucks in there...

In addition, do you truly think an all in push that no one can call is going to endear you to your players....I think not.

I doubt that rule was hard and fast.

RB
Old 10-02-2004, 09:53 AM

This is how my grandfather ended up with a 5 carat diamond ring back in the 30's. If someone in my home game ever wanted to raise the stakes betting into my straight flush - I'd do it too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2004, 05:51 AM

I'd sure hate to be the loser . . .
Old 10-03-2004, 04:41 PM

if you do it against the wrong guy (betting him out) you'd probably sure hate to be the winner too... 'old west' + 'guns' + 'pissed off cowpoke who just got bet out of a pot or lost the family farm' = 'bad'....

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2004, 08:28 PM

thats tv bulcrap. couldnt possibly happen as the most money in the game wins every pot.
but i have played in games where people bet part of their farms and such. but they had announced playing x dollars behind.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:37 PM

i randomly caught part of an old western movie and they were playing that way. i dont remember the name of the movie now tho. it was really bad. they raised far more than the woman had so she went to the bank and got a loan. everyone then folded. never did show what see had. thats 45 min of my life gone.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:46 PM

I am of the understanding thats where the term "the nuts" comes from. Cowboys would take the nuts off their wagon wheels filled with all their stuff, and put it in a bag, and use that to bet the wagon? IE if you have the best hand, you have the nuts.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:41 PM

A Big Hand for the Little Lady (1966). If you swallow the fact that a player can walk across the street carrying her cards in the middle of a hand, you should enjoy this movie with Henry Fonda, Joanne Woodward and a roster of fine character actors. The action centers around a poker game climaxing with "a big hand for the little lady."

Hmm, that description should save everyone from wasting time at this movie...
Old 10-05-2004, 12:13 AM

that sounds about right. i cant believe you actually knew the movie. anyway, i am still stuper salty about wasting all that time watching the movie and they did not even show the hand. she could been bluffing dammit!!!!