Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2001, 03:07 PM

Default Pot Limit Home Game Advice Needed

I've recently been invited to a $2/5 blind pot limit dealer's choice game. Each player chooses a game and we play a whole round of it. Most players call Holdem or Omaha/8, but I'm told there's one guy who always calls Crazy Pineapple, another calls Omaha Hi and another Stud/8. I've played all of these games in a limit format, but have only played PL Holdem and a little bit of PL Omaha/8. Most players buy in for $200 or $300 and rebuy as needed.

I would appreciate any general advice you all might have, but I do have a couple of specific questions:
  1. Are there any specific things that I should be wary of in PL Crazy Pineapple or PL Stud/8?
  2. Are there any Internet sites or books with pot limit info on these other games?
  3. In PL Omaha/8, with a hand like A24x or A2xx with a suited ace, how aggressively should this be played preflop? What if the flop brings the nut low draw and some kind of high draw like a runner runner flush or gutshot straight?
  4. As far as the buy in goes, I'd really like to buy in for $600 or $700, but this might be a faux pas with everyone else buying in for only $200 or $300. Any ideas on how much to buy in for?
Thanks for your help.

Scott...
Old 08-19-2001, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Pot Limit Home Game Advice Needed

it's best to be accepted as "one of the guys", so just make same size buy as they do. after a few games, and you are "in" then you can buy more

for reason above and for safety in new games I suggest that you not be very aggressive. you will soon learn that some of those games are very different from your usual game, and adjust your actions to fit
Old 08-22-2001, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Pot Limit Home Game Advice Needed

Hi Scott,

a few books I would definitely recommend:

PotLimit and NoLimit Poker by S. Reuben and B. Ciaffone SuperSystem by D. Brunson PotLimit and NoLimit Holdem by T.J. Cloutier

Stephan
Old 08-22-2001, 11:56 PM

Default Thanks for the replies (NT)

q
Old 08-24-2001, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Thanks for the replies (NT)

What part of the country, Scott?