Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Draft in May \'05, Operation Iranian Freedom in Sept \'05?

In his interview w/Bill O'Reilly Bush made it perfectly clear that we're going into Iran. There was also something in Time or Newsweek (hardly objective sources but still) about it. Some cambriacon was interviewed in the other of the two mags, saying Bush needs to denounce Putin for his recent election crackdowns, and that regime change should not be disconsidered.

Also been a lot of chatter recently about the return of the draft, a lot of it of the black helicopter variety to be fair. Still, hearing about it in lots of different places after nothing until recently. Not that Kerry has any clear, logical solutions for anything, esp for Iraq. Don't think he's looking to crank up the Cold War again, but who knows.

PREDICTION: If Bush wins the electoral vote(I make him a 49.9-50.1 dog; popular vote is 99%) serious discussions about a draft AND an invasion of Iran will be going on by June. If the draft returns you'll see bloodshed that'll make Kent St. and the Rodney King riots look like a Camp David horsehoe toss.

If the draft does come back, it'll be funny to read all the exposes about rich folk smuggling their teens into Europe, tho, assuming that Ashcroft hasn't taken over the media by then.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Draft in May \'05, Operation Iranian Freedom in Sept \'05?

I think a draft is unlikely, but I also think it's a foregone conclusion that if Bush is re-elected, either N. Korea or Iran will be given a Hitlerian ultimatum: cave into our (unreasonable) demands or we invade.

Whether we can manage both in his 2nd term depends on how long the first choice takes. Of course, neither of them will be anywhere near the push-over that Iraq was. We'll crush either like a bug - it'll just result in a notably higher human cost. Our air superiority over every evil-doer nation is something that simply can't be overcome, even by the AA porcupine that N. Korea is.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also been a lot of chatter recently about the return of the draft, a lot of it of the black helicopter variety to be fair. Still, hearing about it in lots of different places after nothing until recently. Not that Kerry has any clear, logical solutions for anything, esp for Iraq. Don't think he's looking to crank up the Cold War again, but who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you will see a draft. In the past, The United States has fielded a much larger all volunteer force. In recent years the military has really downsized in terms of personell. There is no reason to believe it could not upsize.

There have been dire predections that the United States would have a difficult time recuiting new soldiers and retaining experienced ones should the Iraq conflict become drawn out. So far that hasn't happened. The military seems to be meeting its recruitment/re-enlistment goals.

I heard Kerry wants increase the size of the military by adding two combat divisions. Bush and Rummy do not think the military needs to grow any larger, it just needs to be reorganized. Id like to see a combination of both. That is, add two new combat divisions, and reorganize the rest to better meet the requirments for war in the 21st century.

Stu
Old 09-29-2004, 11:53 PM

O'REILLY: Iran said yesterday: Hey, we're going to develop this nuclear stuff, we don't care what you think. You ready to use military force against Iran if they continue to defy the world on nuclear?

BUSH: My hope is that we can solve this diplomatically.

O'REILLY: But if you can't?

BUSH: Well, let me try to solve it diplomatically, first. All options are on the table, of course, in any situation. But diplomacy is the first option.

O'REILLY: Would you allow Iran to develop a nuclear weapon?

BUSH: We are working our hearts out so that they don't develop a nuclear weapon, and the best way to do so is to continue to keep international pressure on them.

O'REILLY: Is it conceivable that you would allow them to develop a nuclear weapon?

BUSH: No, we've made it clear, our position is that they won't have a nuclear weapon.

O'REILLY: Period.

BUSH: Yes.

I don't read that as we're going into Iran.

The question I have, though, concerns what right we have to decide who can have nuclear weapons and who cannot. What if somebody decides they won't allow us to have nuclear weapons?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a draft is unlikely, but I also think it's a foregone conclusion that if Bush is re-elected, either N. Korea or Iran will be given a Hitlerian ultimatum: cave into our (unreasonable) demands or we invade

[/ QUOTE ]

The Iranians arern't going to stop developing nukes on their own. The Isrealis arn't going to let the Iranians develope them. Do a google search on the kinds of weapons Isreal is buying and ask yourself what you think there going to do with them.

I'm not sure weather we are going to sit back and let the Isrealis handle the Iranian problem. This would be a difficult task for the Isrealis considering much of the Iranian nuclear infrastructure is on the edge of or just outside the range of Isreali weapon systems. The Isrealis are a resourceful people though so you never know.

In any event it doesn't matter who gets elected in Nov. The [censored] is about to hit the fan over there. Perhaps the only way to stop it is by giving an ultimatum and hoping the Iranians cave. The ultimatum has to come from the US because there is 0 chance the Iranians would cave if faced with an ultimatum from Isreal. There is also hope that a French Ultimatum could bring peace, at least in the short term. Should the French give the ultimatum, everyone would be laughing so hard it would be impossible to be engaged in any kind of credible combat.

North Korea is a bit of a problem in that we could win that war, but we would probably lose much of South Korea in the process. There is almost no chance North Korea would cave should the US give them an ultimatum. Premptive war isn't really much of an option over there which is why you see the US drawing down troops and instead building missle defenses in Alaska.

Stu
Old 09-30-2004, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The question I have, though, concerns what right we have to decide who can have nuclear weapons and who cannot. What if somebody decides they won't allow us to have nuclear weapons?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are strong enough to take them away, we would be kinda screwed.

Stu
Old 09-30-2004, 12:28 AM

We'd nuke 'em.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:47 AM

The only politicians pumping the draft now are Democrats.

So, if you want the draft, vote Kerry.
If you don't want the draft, vote Bush.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if Bush is re-elected, either N. Korea or Iran will be given a Hitlerian ultimatum: cave into our (unreasonable) demands or we invade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iran perhaps but there is zero chance that we invade North Korea. We simply couldn't do it without South Korean backing and that is definitely not what they want, and for good reason.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:16 AM

Default Draft Bills Are Already in the Congress and Senate

Yes, draft bills are already in the house and the senate. Who are the sponsors? Mmmmmmmm...let us see:

US House:
Charlie Rangle, a Democrat from New York

US Senate:
Fritz "Foghorn Leghorn" Hollings, a Democrat from South Carolina

What is the common thread between these two bills?
Answer: There both sponsored by Democrats.