Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Joe Buck on Bonds

Buck article about Bonds

I really don't like the way this article goes down.
Thoughts.

some excerpts:

Mark and Sammy were loved by their teammates, and they had a great sense of what they were doing for the popularity of the game. With Bonds, it is not that way.

First, Bonds is a solo act. He is a one-man wrecking crew and the most valuable player in the league, but people can sense he is not a well-liked guy, even in his own clubhouse.

Barry evidently made up his mind long ago that he did not need any help from the media to live life in the big leagues. That is well within his rights. But when you make that choice, you cannot expect those same people to paint a rosy picture about your amazing athletic ability or, more important, give you the benefit of the doubt.

No offense, Joe Buck, but I can see why Bonds doesn't like the media, because you all are a bunch of ass holes to him.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Joe Buck on Bonds

How do you think they got that way? Bonds fired the first dozen shots or so in that war. He has been a sullen prick for more than a decade now.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:22 PM

He is a prick to the media and the media likes to portray him as a prick because of this. Bonds to me seems like a guy who likes to do his own thing and wants people and the media leave him alone. Griffey hates talking to the media, but why do people like him? Because he smiles a lot?Because the media portrays him that way? IIRC, Ted Williams hated talking to the media, but he is revered.

There are several people in the sports journalism world who hate Bonds. These people will probably never like Bonds, even though he has done a lot for the sport. Baseball wouldn't be anywhere near as popular without him.

Bucks point that most of America didn't care when he hit his 700th is way off base. Most Americans have grown numb to Bonds, and expected him to hit his 700th hr. When he pases Ruth, most people will say, "well there goes Bonds again, I knew it was only a matter of time."
Old 09-29-2004, 07:29 PM

The only thing Bonds has done for baseball is to play it at an incredibly high level. He has made little to no effort to be an ambassador for the game in the locker room or off the field.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing Bonds has done for baseball is to play it at an incredibly high level.

[/ QUOTE ] Precisely, he sells out stadiums and increases ratings on TV.

[ QUOTE ]
He has made little to no effort to be an ambassador for the game in the locker room or off the field.

[/ QUOTE ] Personally, I am glad he isn't hawking soda, gatorade, hot dogs, nike apparel, or deoderant.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:05 PM

I don't remember Bonds ever getting in trouble for beating on his wife, or a DUI, or getting caught with 250 pounds of marijuana in his car. Perhaps he's not an ambassador to the game, but you could a LOT worse than Barry Bonds. He's just a loner-type who wants to be left alone, and the media just won't let him do that.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:16 PM

Well, personally, I think all the Fox announcers are complete idiots. Buck is the least idiotic of the bunch...but when all you have to do is be smarter than McCarver, Brennaman, and Lyons...it's not that much of a challenge.

Will
Old 09-29-2004, 08:38 PM

good point Sooga.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember Bonds ever getting in trouble for beating on his wife, or a DUI, or getting caught with 250 pounds of marijuana in his car. Perhaps he's not an ambassador to the game, but you could a LOT worse than Barry Bonds. He's just a loner-type who wants to be left alone, and the media just won't let him do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has made threatening remarks to teammates and media, had various physical altercations with teammates, and has generally conducted himself like a world class boor. Playing major league baseball is a very well paid job. Part and parcel to that is dealing with fans and media. Bonds has done a very poor job of that. All Buck is pointing out in the article is that it is unsurprising that the general public and media aren't 'rooting' for Bonds, since he has shown his disdain for their opinion in the past.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has made threatening remarks to teammates and media, had various physical altercations with teammates,

[/ QUOTE ] He has never been suspended or fined.

[ QUOTE ]
Part and parcel to that is dealing with fans and media.

[/ QUOTE ] This certainly isn't written in stone.

[ QUOTE ]
All Buck is pointing out in the article is that it is unsurprising that the general public and media aren't 'rooting' for Bonds, since he has shown his disdain for their opinion in the past.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, but I think Buck is way off though. Most baseball fans are rooting for Bonds, but part of the problem though is Bonds has this aura around him. We all EXPECT him to hit his 700th HR, we all EXPECT him to pass Ruth. People would be more surprised if he couldn't pass Ruth. I think the media, and some writers in particular, are rooting against Bonds. Instead of writing why Bonds is amazing, they write why he is an ass. These people need to take the chip off their shoulder and throw away their bias.