Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 05:03 AM

Default winning player, but lots of losing streaks. what does it mean?

there's been a lot of discussion on this board about what the longest streak players have encountered. with this in mind i was looking over my results from my first 170 100+9 sng's.

in just this small sample of play, i've had two 12-tounament losing streaks, a 9-tournament losing streak (which i just ended) and a 7-tournament losing streak. i haven't done any statistical analysis on it, but to me this seems very streaky.

i've been wondering if there is information to be gleaned for results of this nature. perhaps, it says something about
my style of play that i need to modify or change to further optimize my results.

fyi, my roi is around 20% (ugh) and itm about 37% right now. any insights or people who have similar hot/cold results i'd love to hear what you have to say.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:23 AM

Default Re: winning player, but lots of losing streaks. what does it mean?

The one thing I would check is the time and day of week of winning and losing games. I think the average quality of opponents vary quite a bit, even if I can't prove that yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if one player could barely break even at some periods and make 40%+ ROI on other times (fri and sat nights?).
Old 09-29-2004, 08:18 AM

I've got around 150 $10 SnGs tracked with results very similar to yours -- 38% ITM, 22% ROI. I have 5 losing streaks ranging from 6 to 8 tournies. But the worst stretch was around 20 trournies with only 3 ITM, all 3rd place.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:11 AM

I went through one last month. For the previous 100 $50+5's, I had a 51% ITM, with a great ROI. Then, I went on a streak of 22 with only 4 ITM.

I sat down and poured over my hand histories and I noticed that as the streak went further along, I started bluffing more and making more and bigger bets. I think that I had started trying to force the issue by driving people out of hands. It only took 1 or 2 hands per tourney to knock me down because of my aggression.

After I noticed this and corrected the problem, I was ITM the next 7 in a row with 4 wins.

I'd suggest just sitting down and reading through your hand histories closely and see if you notice anything out of the ordinary.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:54 AM

what's your autocorrelation, is it statistically significant?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what's your autocorrelation, is it statistically significant?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rachel,

Would you mind explaining for a non-expert how to figure out if your autocorrelation is statistically significant? It sounds like a very good thing to look at.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:39 AM

20% on $100 is fantastic.

Losing streaks are normal.

If you change your strategy in response to bad luck (assuming it is bad luck), you'll lose money in the long run.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:09 PM

All of these posts sound more like variance than anything else. A 12 tourney non-win streak is balanced by a period when you won more than average (like 3 of 6 or 7). It will balance out over time. Your #s look good. I'm trying to get up to that playing $10+1 tourneys.

Read some of the other streak posts on here. Yours will seem like nothing.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:18 PM

thanks for the responses.

i'm definitely not complaining about my results because i like to think of myself as someone who takes the lumps and moves on.

what i'm saying is that with a 40% itm, a streak of 12 becomes a statistical certainty at 460 tournaments, so i find it a little bit strange to have had two within 170 tournaments. i imagine the chances of this happening randomly are pretty small so i was curious to see if there was information to glean from it before i dismiss it as a statistical anomaly.

vuron, i think you make a good point, because the natural tendency is to start bluffing when the cards aren't running in your favor. and though my tendency is to start bullying when i'm going bad, i do consciously try to tighten up when things aren't going my way.

i should add that perhaps my streakiness is due to my belief in the 9x or less blinds, push theory. and it's become not that uncommon for players to berate me for being a maniac, which i find strange because i'm considered very tight by those who play against me the most often.

i too have no idea what autocorrelation is, and though i don't think 20% is anything to scoff at, i do believe my true roi is close to 25% and ideally i'd like to get around 30%. anything higher than that i feel would be difficult to sustain for anyone without esp (i.e. me).
Old 09-29-2004, 02:35 PM

I think the autocorrelation comment was a joke...

Autocorrelation is a problem in statistical analysis if you are running a regression. Basically, if there is a pattern in the data, such as a tendency for data point 2 to be somehow correlated with data point 1 --- then your regression will be inaccurate and you will have to run a time-series (Autoregressive) model. Most time-series data have autocorrelation. If you are running a standard regression, the relationship that you figure out between the 2 variables will be misstated if there is autocorrelation.

Statistically, the error term in the regression model cannot have an 'expected value'... if it does, your model does not do a good job of describing the relationship and you have to then run an autoregressive model...

the point is; if there are patterns of errors in your play over time, then you aren't playing well.... duh...