Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Calling all ins with small pairs

In the late stages of a sng you inevitably will have the button or sb raising your bb. EX. (Player 1(2000), Player 2(3000) (YOU)and player 3 (3000)) Lets say you have dueces through fives and the sb (player 1) goes all in on your bb (400 chips). With 600 chips already in the pot and you're almost guaranteed to have a small edge this would seem to be the correct call. You lose and you're probably third and if you win you probably win the sng. Should I wait for a more significant edge or should I just let the odds justify my play.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Calling all ins with small pairs

If you call the only happy guy is the one not involved in the pot. Small pairs ARE NOT (or at least only rarely) calling all-in hands
gl
Old 09-28-2004, 12:59 PM

This is definitely a function of how often your opponent is raising big preflop. For example on the hand that Annie Duke busted Howard Lederer in ESPN's TOC, he raised allin (again) with 77 and Annie called with 66. I know, she was dominated, but she said on these boards that Howard was playing very aggressive, allin poker, and thus she rated to have the best hand. She said that if Phil Hellmuth had been the one who raised allin, she would have folded.

Thus, I'm going to go with Annie here and say the call is read dependant.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:09 PM

with the stack sizes that were provided?

fold or come play at my table
Old 09-28-2004, 01:16 PM

Let's say that they had been playing three handed for three orbits already, and each time the SB raised allin after the button folded. How long will you let him grind away at your stack when you have less than 10xBB?
Old 09-28-2004, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say that they had been playing three handed for three orbits already, and each time the SB raised allin after the button folded. How long will you let him grind away at your stack when you have less than 10xBB?

[/ QUOTE ]

First it's clear that you and I usually disagree.

Second, to (partially) answer your question. If possible I'd much rather answer an aggressive player by being first to bet (with almost anything) than looking to call with mediocrity.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 PM

Don't get me wrong. If you always fold 22-55 here you are not too far wrong. But I would call if I had reason to believe that the SB was pushing with any two (and no better).
Old 09-28-2004, 02:16 PM

i prefer going all in with these pairs to calling allins. id rather give up my blind and wait for a spot where ill get better than at best 50/50 on my money. 8s and up id definatly call with because they might have a smaller pocket pair and id be dominating their hand. if not i get at worst 50/50(if they dont have a high PP). in summary, if youre calling someone hoping that youll get 50/50 is not a good play. calling someone knowing(as much as you can know in poker) that youll get 50/50 is a good play.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:57 PM

Is the overlay from the blinds not a factor. If you know with 99% certainty that you are a few percentage points favorite wouldn't the 400-600 chips etc. make the call easy. Its not like we're playing 4 handed with the blinds relatively small and player A shows me AK and I have pocket dueces and I still call because of a 1 or 2% edge. 600 chips in a 4000 chip pot is not a whole lot but it still gives a good value on my money.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong. If you always fold 22-55 here you are not too far wrong. But I would call if I had reason to believe that the SB was pushing with any two (and no better).

[/ QUOTE ]

With 22, you're still a coin-flip favorite at best, dominated at worst. It doesn't get that much better with 33, 44, or 55.

If SB pushed and showed you 96, what would you do with 22?