Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Syria Blames Israel for Inciting U.S. to Invade Iraq

On a related note, I would be appreciative of any info and/or links of what France's policy is regarding Israel and the Palestinians.

Syria Blames Israel for Inciting U.S. to Invade Iraq
Old 09-27-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Syria Blames Israel for Inciting U.S. to Invade Iraq

France is one of the largest consumers of Arab oil, as well as a home to a 5 million strong Muslim Community.

French Jews have been moving by the planeload to Israel in the last few years.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:57 PM

Why do you specifically ask about france? They are not mentioned in the article.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:32 AM

It's related to my question about what concessions the U.S. would have to make in a new diplomatic initiative on Iraq that Kerry is proposing. I'm suspicious that it's a plan to sell Israel out more or less. My understanding is that France in particular and the EU in gerneral are not the best of friends with Israel shall we say.

One of Kerry's pillars in his Iraqi policy is securing more international support for resolving the situation in Iraq. Kerry's also criticized Bush repeatedly for bucking the UN for lack of a better term. Kerry's also called for a summit of European and Arab states to map out a plan for stabilizing Iraq. For Kerry's initiative to succeed IMO he'll have to offer up concessions from the Unitied States. People may disagree that the U.S. will have to make concessions but why on earth would a country like France, who has been opposed to the war from the gitgo and has stated that they're opposed to sending any kind of military assistance, change their position and help the U.S. at this point? In Kerry's own words the U.S. is stuck in a quagmire in Iraq as it's the wrong war, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Why would any country want to get involved in a situation like that and offer financail and military asistance? In my mind common sense would tell you that the Kerry initiatives won't succeed without the U.S. offering something in return for significant military and financial support in Iraq.

With that in mind my suspicion is that Kerry would more or less sell Israel out as a concession for getting the support of EU countries like France and Germany as well as Arab countries who participate in the summit that Kerry's proposing. What else does the U.S. have to offer the countries that Kerry seeks support from?

It's possible that Kerry's blowing smoke with this idea but I think it's also possible that Kerry intends to actively enlist military support from EU countries and Arab countries. If he really is going to do this what does the U.S. have that these countries want in the Middle East? Leverage with Israel methinks.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:39 AM

"France is one of the largest consumers of Arab oil"

Wow that's relevant. I guess if we look to the world's largest consumer of Arab oil then we'll find the most pro-Arab/anti-Israel country? None other than the United States! It all makes sense now.
" as well as a home to a 5 million strong Muslim Community."

Not to mention Europe's largest Jewish community at around 600,000.

" French Jews have been moving by the planeload to Israel in the last few years. "

About 1% have left in four years. That's significantly less than the community's population growth.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:56 AM

“I’m an internationalist, I’d like to see our troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations.”

John Kerry The Crimson 1970
Old 09-28-2004, 06:02 AM

Whereas you think what? That the imperial forces should be able to go wherever they want, whenever they want?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whereas you think what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Americans can decide the best use of Amercian Forces.
I have more confidence in Congress and the President of the United States than I do in UN. John Kerry on the other hand does not.

Stu
Old 09-28-2004, 06:21 AM

I have more confidence in Congress and the President of the United States than I do in UN.

Is your confidence in the mentioned offices or the actual instantiations as they exist today?
Old 09-28-2004, 06:21 AM

"With that in mind my suspicion is that Kerry would more or less sell Israel out as a concession for getting the support of EU countries like France and Germany as well as Arab countries who participate in the summit that Kerry's proposing. "

What exactly do you mean by "sell Israel out"?

"What else does the U.S. have to offer the countries that Kerry seeks support from? "

Yes, of all the world issues the French and Europe could pick, from international trade to teh Kyoto agreement, all us Europeans are focused on is screwing Israel. We think of nothing else.

Where are you getting this rubbish? Do you ever pause to think that it's not the EU that's alone in its criticisms of Israel, but the US that stands alone in turning a blind eye to everything it does? A country whose political establishment was outraged when a politician dared suggest that the two sides in the conflict should bet reated "even-handedly?" That maybe it isn't the EU seeking to screw Israel but the US backing the Israelis in their efforts to screw the Palestinians? Because that's what virtually everyone else thinks. (Cue M telling us that everyone outside the US is stupid).