Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 11:45 PM

Default The hand Greg moved in and i walked around the table

I dont quite remember the amounts of the bets, but i remember the hand amazingly well.. I was moving right along trading jabs with greg, with neither of us hurting each other too badly... i think i called from the big or small blind with the AT diam... the flop came JT6 i bleive, with two clubs.... i lead about a pot size bet and greg called... turn was a 5 or a 7 , i checked Greg bet 1 mill, i called... the river was the 7 of clubs i think... i checked greg moved in... i was prepared in my mind to call any bet if a club, king or Q didnt come... but it came... im not one to call all of my chips too often, but i was certain that i had had the best hand on the turn, but wasnt sure if Greg had caught up with me on the river.... after a much longer tank session of thinking than i am used to... i decided to fold... after the tournament Greg told me he made the nut flush with the A3 of clubs...
I am sadly dissapointed at what ESPN did to this years final table.... there were many great hands of poker played between Greg and myself and David and myself, i believe that all three of us were on top of our games.... ESPN showed none of that... if you watch the final table on pokerstars, you will see that either Greg or myself raised nearly every hand and played a lot of small pots together.. ESPN could have easily made the final table a 2 hour show, and it would have given the viewers a better perspective of what actually took place...

In my 3 days at the feature table, they showed me play like 5 hands, me getting lucky twice, and losing a few coin flips... they did the same to greg... they dont give the viewer any idea of what is going on...greg played great by chopping away and chipping up... then when a coin flip situation came up, he was basically on a free roll, that is what i consider playing perfect.... i wish ESPN understood this.... sorry so long.. i will stop now
josh
Old 09-25-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Re: The hand Greg moved in and i walked around the table

Which is why I appreciate people like you coming here and filling us in on some of the better hands that ESPN chose not to show us.

Thanks.

Hey man, your post actually isn't that long, and I'm sure most people who read this forum would be happy to read as many thoughts as you feel like sharing....I wouldn't worry about rambling.

Any hands that were particularly interesting to you that you played with David Williams that you remember?

Very interesting post. Thanks for the insights.

Just out of curiousity did you consider pricing out the flush draw on the turn (of course you considered it just wondering what made you decide against it)?

I remember Ciaffone talking about the undertaking to bet again against a flush draw in PLNLP if a blank hits on the turn. Mind you I am not trying to second guess.

I also wished they showed more of the crucial hands, at least we got to see the game with the cards on peoples' heads.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:58 PM

Hey Josh, just curious, why is checkraising the turn not the correct play here? Seems like there are a lot of scare cards that can fall on the end that may kill your hand.

I understand not wanting to play a big pot w/ Greg but your stacks were probably deep enough that you could checkraise a 1 million chip bet and not be all-in AND have the raise be enough that Greg wouldn't be able to call, correct? I can't imagine that you didn't make the c/r b/c you weren't confident enough in your read.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:03 AM

Josh,

Thanks for the insight and account. it really is a shame that the shows don't do a better job of showing the poker instead of the personalities.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:03 AM

watching the final table on ps, thought there was plenty that went on that was not shown; the described hand a perfect example. thought that you and greg played very well, it appeared as both of you willing to take risks and gamble it up a bit...giving special consideration to position. thanks for recounting the hand, many posters were very curious. congrats on your wpt finish as well...
Old 09-26-2004, 12:06 AM

Default whadda expect, Josh? after all, ESPN is in the...

[ QUOTE ]
I dont quite remember the amounts of the bets, but i remember the hand amazingly well.. I was moving right along trading jabs with greg, with neither of us hurting each other too badly... i think i called from the big or small blind with the AT diam... the flop came JT6 i bleive, with two clubs.... i lead about a pot size bet and greg called... turn was a 5 or a 7 , i checked Greg bet 1 mill, i called... the river was the 7 of clubs i think... i checked greg moved in... i was prepared in my mind to call any bet if a club, king or Q didnt come... but it came... im not one to call all of my chips too often, but i was certain that i had had the best hand on the turn, but wasnt sure if Greg had caught up with me on the river.... after a much longer tank session of thinking than i am used to... i decided to fold... after the tournament Greg told me he made the nut flush with the A3 of clubs...
I am sadly dissapointed at what ESPN did to this years final table.... there were many great hands of poker played between Greg and myself and David and myself, i believe that all three of us were on top of our games.... ESPN showed none of that... if you watch the final table on pokerstars, you will see that either Greg or myself raised nearly every hand and played a lot of small pots together.. ESPN could have easily made the final table a 2 hour show, and it would have given the viewers a better perspective of what actually took place...

In my 3 days at the feature table, they showed me play like 5 hands, me getting lucky twice, and losing a few coin flips... they did the same to greg... they dont give the viewer any idea of what is going on...greg played great by chopping away and chipping up... then when a coin flip situation came up, he was basically on a free roll, that is what i consider playing perfect.... i wish ESPN understood this.... sorry so long.. i will stop now
josh

[/ QUOTE ]

business to entertain. they could care less about small pot wins that they may see as "UNEVENTFUL". they wanna show hands where some significant thing occurred, leaving alot of novice viewers to see the final table like some all-in coinflip and river catch-fest.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:09 AM

my mistake in the hand was checking the turn... i wasnt sure if greg was slowplaying a big hand behind me or was on a flushdraw.... once i checked and he bet 1 mill, i didnt have enuff chips to move in, i think i only had about 3 mill at that point and my raise would have only been 2m and he would have had to call... if i had led allin on the turn, i may have won the pot there... but hindsite is 20-20
Old 09-26-2004, 12:12 AM

Okay cool. I thought you could c/r enough to get a fold but with that stack, yea he wouldn't have folded.