Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Heads-up v. EP raise with 88 in BB

I'm worried that I'm pushing the wrong edges. This particular player was a little loose passive preflop, but seemed to tighten up significantly postflop.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

I don't know what I would do if he called the turn bet also. I suspect I would check hoping that it would be checked through and I don't know if I would call if bet into.

Is this sort of play costing me money in the long run? If it is, what should I be doing in this case? I did note the player's tendencies when I decided to go for this play.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Heads-up v. EP raise with 88 in BB

I like your line, especially if there's a chance of pushing villain off a bigger pocket pair. If villain 3-bets the flop it's time to fold. Going forward, I'd plan to bet the river and fold to a raise.

The alternative is to check/call down all the way, but you'd be offering him a free card on the turn when you're ahead and paying him off when you're behind. Not an ideal situation.

Unless you plan to check/fold the flop, I think the raise is the way to go. I'm not sure this sort of hand is significantly +EV, though it's probably good practice if you plan to move up limits at some point. At least that's the way I justify losing money heads up.