Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 03:32 PM

Default Where did $2M come from?

Did ESPN supply all the prize money or was there an entry fee?
Old 09-22-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Where did $2M come from?

Was a freeroll, not sure if it was supplied by ESPN or Harrah's, though I assume Harrah's.

I think I read that htey even got an appearance fee, meaning they were paid to play, but I am not sure.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:44 PM

Hi betgo,

Harrah's probably put up the prize money, along with ESPN. The players also received an appearance fee, probably from ESPN. The reason for the appearance fee, simply, is that this tourney had fairly deep starting stacks (100xBB), so it was not likely to be wrapped up quickly. Poker is a job for these people, and this was X hours they COULDN'T be at a juicy cash game, but were instead playing "the toughest table in the room" with a 10% shot at $2M in a winner-take-all. It just makes sense to pay them for lost opportunity time.

Cris
Old 09-22-2004, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrah's probably put up the prize money, along with ESPN. The players also received an appearance fee, probably from ESPN. The reason for the appearance fee, simply, is that this tourney had fairly deep starting stacks (100xBB), so it was not likely to be wrapped up quickly. Poker is a job for these people, and this was X hours they COULDN'T be at a juicy cash game, but were instead playing "the toughest table in the room" with a 10% shot at $2M in a winner-take-all. It just makes sense to pay them for lost opportunity time.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words 2nd - 10th paid the same, but not nothing.

Hey I've got an idea, that compensates players adequately for their time, and also maintains the dramatic winner-take-all format. How about they pay an `appearance fee' that depends on the number of players you `appear' longer than.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:54 PM

Same as any reality tv show. Did you see the commercails?
I'm sure neither ESPN or Harrahs lost a cent.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM

You really think those players' expectation is $100k/day? I don't think you would have to pay any one of them extra money for a free at $2m against 9 other people. It couldn't have taken longer than two days to play the tournament and probably was done in one day.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a 10% shot at $2M in a winner-take-all. It just makes sense to pay them for lost opportunity time.

[/ QUOTE ]

A freeroll for 2 million is not worth their time? Jeesh...
Old 09-22-2004, 05:00 PM

It seems to me that the Screen Actors Guild or some other union would prohibit anything other than a paid appearance by the players.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:11 PM

These players were given 200k in equity (well, about 60k for Annie Duke if you believe Phil [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and national TV coverage. You think any of this roster would not take that without an appearance fee? I have no idea whether one was given or not, but I'm confident that just about all of these players would have jumped at the chance to play in this freeroll.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi betgo,

Cris

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous, Cris. They each had about 200k in expectation. You think these guys have expectation of > 200k a day?