Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 03:10 AM

Default Peace Train has no place in America.

Cat Stevens refused entry to US
Old 09-22-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Peace Train has no place in America.

"In July 2000, Stevens was denied entry to Israel amid reports that he had donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Islamic terrorist group, Hamas."

I wonder why Isreal has beef with him, or if there is any validity to this statement.

This terrorist namelist thing is a little much. First a senator, then Cat Stevens. You would think they wouldn't be this gestapo about it.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:51 AM

Well if there is validity to that statement then it isn't unreasonable to deny him entry and might well even be against the law to let him in.

He did support the death-fatwa against Salman Rushdie, so he isn't exclusively a "peacetrain" type of guy--though he has spoken out recently against really bad terrorism like in Russia.

He opened an Islamic school in London, so maybe that school has taken more of a radical turn or something lately, or has become associated with the radical London Islamists. At any rate if he did donate tens of thousands to Hamas, which is on the official terrorist org list by the US gov't., then one can see why he too would be on the watch list or whatever.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:58 AM

Do entertainers receive special consideration?

They let John Wilkes Booth have free and open access to Ford's Theatre because he was a famous actor. How well did that work out?
Old 09-22-2004, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"In July 2000, Stevens was denied entry to Israel amid reports that he had donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Islamic terrorist group, Hamas."

I wonder why Isreal has beef with him, or if there is any validity to this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that the Israeli government has a beef with him because they believe that statement to be valid.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They let John Wilkes Booth have free and open access to Ford's Theatre because he was a famous actor. How well did that work out?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was not my intent. If Cat Stevens did support Hamas, then he should probably be in jail.

I was shocked about Cat Stevens because his music is so calm and peaceful. It's difficult to believe a man like that would support Hamas. If he has, then the governments of Isreal and the US are being to light on him by merely preventing him from entering the country.

[ QUOTE ]
"He did support the death-fatwa against Salman Rushdie, so he isn't exclusively a "peacetrain" type of guy--though he has spoken out recently against really bad terrorism like in Russia."

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow MMMMMMM, that is huge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only thing that Salman Rushdie did wrong was write a novel about how he lost faith in Islam?

Any way, according to his website, he did not support the fatwa. Google Search The website is down, but you can read parts of a FAQ in the google search link.

but according to
http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=17121

"I never actually supported the fatwa," Yusuf told a VH1 audience, "but not many people know that." The public, he said, "remebered the headlines, which were made up..."

The facts, however, indicated that Yusuf was lying. On February 21, 1989 - one week after the fatwa - Yususf addressed a group of Muslim students at London's Kingston Polytechnic. Yusuf was asked Rushdie's death sentence. "He must be killed," he replied. "The Qur'an makes it clear. If someone defames the prophet he must die."

Yusuf later backpedaled once again, defending his stand on the issue and calling the fatwa a deterrent (which he likened to America's possession of nuclear weapons). "My only crime," he remarked without a trace of irony, "was, I suppose, in being honest."

[Yusuf also defended the amputation of a thief's hand and the stoning of adulterers (as prescribed by Sharia) and (perhaps unwittingly) donated money to "charities" which funded terrorist activities. What prompted Stevens's conversion to Islam? A large wave which he claimed had saved him from drowning while swimming in the ocean.

Looks like Cat Stevens might actually be CrAzY!!!

I remember someone posting a article about a senator that couldn't fly because he was on a no-fly list. Turns out that different websites are reporting that differently as well. Some are saying that he had to call Ridge to board the airplane and others are saying that a supervisor had to check his identity and it took three calls to Ridge to have his name permanently taken off the list.

http://news.bostonherald.com/nationa...rticleid=40687

Guess that isn't so bad either. I retract my gestapo statement.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good example that was 130 years ago. no way anything like that happens today.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:21 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

Trust me, my administration knows what it's doing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 01:28 PM

I remember reading where Natalie Merchant and 10000 manaics were none the too happy that their cover of Peace Train was being promoted as a single (from the MTV Unplugged session)

between the time they did it and the promotion, Cat declared Jihad.... - seems they didn't like promoting his new way of thinking...

RB
Old 09-22-2004, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good example that was 130 years ago. no way anything like that happens today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are joking here.

OJ got off due to celebrity, and lots of celebrities get treated special in lots of places.

I'm just waiting for the next one to take advantage of their celebrity to pull off something criminal.