Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2002, 03:05 PM

Default Hello,Players1 Supposed that U decided to...

play both AKo and KQo in a loose-aggressive game(many players staying in pre-flop,on the flop , and on the turn; capping on pre-flop ,flop and turn).

Which hand would you rather have: AK or KQ? Why?

Thanks

Happy pokering,

Sitting Bull

Old 04-24-2002, 04:22 PM

Default AK. Its not close. *NM*

Old 04-24-2002, 04:30 PM

Default just to be outlandish...

Sometimes, like in Paradise heads-up, against an opponent I am acting after at some point who obviously doesn't have an ace, or against an opponent who puts a certain kind of read on me, KQo gives me more outs.

There are just rare situations where I know I will be able to use the ace if it hits the same as if I am holding it when I am not. Plus, I have the queen out, if the board comes QT762. Like, if the ace hits I win, but if it doesn't and he figures me to be over-representing a high card, he may overbet his pair of tens.

Sometimes deception is worth more bets than cards?

eLROY
Old 04-24-2002, 05:21 PM

Default Re: just to be outlandish...

Deception is worth more than cards headsup. Yup, sometimes. No doubt.

But Larry's question was against a full field. I think your point is valid in its stated context, but not for the question at hand.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Hello,Players1 Supposed that U decided to...

I would have thought AKo to be much better, but looking at http://www.gocee.com/poker/HE_Val_Sort.htm

KQo wins almost as often as AKo. Interesting. Even in terms of pot equity heads up (where I would think AK would have the biggest advantage), AKo is only slightly better.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:06 PM

Default Re: just to be outlandish...

I think your point is valid in its stated context, but not for the question at hand.

You should just be thankful he didn't start talking about his stock picks.

Old 04-24-2002, 07:09 PM

This is one area where the computer simulation results are flawed.

The simulation is unable to account for all the extra bets KQo is going to lose when it makes a second best hand- which is a common occurance.

Old 04-24-2002, 07:27 PM

Paraphrased from HEPFAP:

You'd rather stay in with KQ overcards than AK on a ragged flop because a bunch of people will play any Ace but not any king. Hitting your Ace might give some other moron a second pair, hitting your K or Q is less likely to do that.

Not saying KQ is more valuable, just showing one instance where you'd rather have it.

2ndGoat
Old 04-24-2002, 10:51 PM

That's not the point. AK is only dominated by 6 hands, while KQ is dominated by 36 hands, making it 6 times a likely to run into serious trouble (at a full table, about 1/4 of the times) - plus you're a still a dog over any ace.

Also, while AK and KQ dominate almost the same number of hands (132 vs. 120), the chance of your opponent playing a lesser ace is much higher than him playing a lesser queen.

Also AK has some showdown value, even when unimproved, and will always give you 6 outs against top-pair which often allows you to make a move for the pot when you missed the flop in heads-up situations.

All this together makes AK much more profitable than the small 4% difference in all-in pot-equity against a random hand suggests.

cu

Ignatius

Old 04-24-2002, 11:03 PM

Default KQ has better odds of making a STRT than AK *NM*