Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 06:27 PM

Default AK on a mono-rank flop

So, when do you give someone credit for the quads here?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (17.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 20.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 20.75 BB, between Button, BB and Hero.</font>
Old 09-20-2004, 06:34 PM

Default Re: AK on a mono-rank flop

I think you played it correctly, but not because I fear quads in this hand. In limit poker, especially when there is a 4-bet cap, you can't go much wrong by never giving someone credit for quads.

Going for overcalls from the button is the highest e.v. move. You split with any K here, so unless you are sure that BB will go nuts with something like TT, go for the weak overcalls from the button.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:35 PM

Never give them credit for quads, if anything I'd be woried about a low pocket pair. If quads comes, then such is life... you lost a lot but next time you will gain more back if you played the same way (or better).

At first I was going to suggest playing more aggressivly on the turn, but I think I like your call. Its deceptive, and gives you the opportunity to raise on the river and POSSIBLY get another bet from the Button.

However - raise the river. 90% chance you have the best hand... make a profit while you are at it. I like this overcall, I highly doubt your opponents have AA for a bigger full house!

TT in da club [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2004, 06:39 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I'd wait until the river to raise. no cards can hurt you. at best, if you're ahead, they're drawing to 2 outs with a PP above 6. I'd pop the river and call a 3-bet, assuming I'll chop, and being pissed if I lose.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd pop the river and call a 3-bet, assuming I'll chop, and being pissed if I lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like this reasoning. Assuming you are only 3-bet when you chop or are beat, why not go for the overcall from a hand you very likely have beat?
Old 09-20-2004, 06:43 PM

sthief09:

Shouldn't you be over at the Monday Night tourny at NYPC by now? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] What are you still doing here!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]