Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2002, 07:03 PM

Default If you were dealt two fives

every single time in a full holdem game (and your opponents didn't catch on), would you win? If not, name a better hand that would rate to break even.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:07 PM

Default This is utterly stifling. No answer.

But I'm sure the mathemeticians know.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:41 PM

Default If I wanted to break even I wouldn\'t play ;-) *NM*

Old 03-23-2002, 08:57 PM

Default But to take a stab at your question

I suppose it would depend on the type of game. In an agressive game, you would rarely get to see a flop, so your blinds would be eaten away. In a loose passive game it would probably be a big winner, with many chances to flop a set. In an *average* game it would probably be a small loser.

My *feeling* is that sixes would be more of a break even hand, with sevens being a small winner--in an average game.

But it all depends on the type of game it is. At the level you (David) play at I would expect fives to be a small loser. I suppose you can speak on your experience.

Not a very thought out answer. I'm NOT breaking out the calculator for this one. ;-)
Old 03-23-2002, 09:57 PM

Default if I ALWAYS had a pair, I could win

Sure, you have the soft set game. But I'm thinking of the super-tight, heads-up raise-it-to-the-roof game. My opponent would be driven absolutely mad that I ALWAYS had a pair. It would be uncanny. He would know I had to be bluffing. He would read me to be holding QTs, nothing, anything. I would have no bluffing frequency. I could bet every time he had nothing. The sheer improbability of it would completely throw him out of whack.

But a part of the question you could maybe be a little more specific on is, do I know I'm going to keep getting dealt two fives, or am I as surprised as he is? Because if I could count on it, I could definitely conceive of a profitable picture to paint around it, assuming I didn't have to try to conceal it.

If it were 2's or 3's could I do it? Hmmm, maybe not. But I think in the right game, say Paradise 10-20 heads up, I could just edge it with 4's.

eLROY
Old 03-23-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Re: if I ALWAYS had a pair, I could win

If you CAN figure a profitable stretegy for fives, than why not sixes, sevens and so on. There are only 169 different variations. ;-)
Old 03-24-2002, 02:41 AM

Default Re: If you were dealt two fives

The fact that you never will have a bad blind helps a lot.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:27 AM

I assume you mean your opponents get blasted by some type of memory eraser thing like they used in Men in Black but otherwise know your overall game as would normal opponents.

You would win money with a pair of fives in a typical game. Note that sometimes it gets folded BTF as it would in a regular game. In a super tough game (a lot of three way pots with multiple raises) it would probably be a loser.

Regards,

Rick
Old 03-24-2002, 05:55 AM

Default Not enough information...

you sly dog you, present a question that, if answered, is wrong because we can't know the answer.

if you are a horrible player, AA isn't going to break even over time. (or is it? is it that strong that even horrible players can't misplay them THAT badly? i don't know) it seems like there is too much we can't know to answer the question. are they always the same suits? i think that, over time, you will become such an expert at playing 55 that they will begin to show profit, if they don't rate to otherwise. you'll always have the same hand, one less function for your brain to work on. that *should* mean that you will be able to focus on outplaying your opponents more often. hopefully this would increase the EV of 55.

just my thoughts...
Old 03-24-2002, 07:54 AM

In a 10/20 or 15/30 game,

I would win with a pair of

fives every hand.