Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2002, 06:08 AM

Default verbalization at the table

i really don't like having to say 'raise' when i want to raise in a game. problem is, it is quicker, because i can be pulling the chips from my stack while the next guy is deciding. this instead of pulling the chips i want to raise with from the stack and then placing them in the middle. sometimes that's just too many chips.

is there some kind of way out of having to verbalize or vocalize your intention to raise? i am a quiet guy, and have not been allowed to raise becuase the dealer didn't hear me mumble 'raise'
Old 03-15-2002, 09:34 AM

Default Re: verbalization at the table

"is there some kind of way out of having to verbalize or vocalize your intention to raise?"

The only reason you gave for vocalizing was that it's quicker. Hardly a good enough reason to do what you don't want to do. I'm in the habit of having raising chips at the ready without vocals. I don't think it distracts me or slows the game.

Tommy
Old 03-15-2002, 10:22 AM

When I used to play 3-6 and 6-12 (with 2 dollar chips) I stacked all my chips in piles of 12 chips. I would then cut one stack into two 6 chip stacks.

Pre-flop or on the flop shoving in a short stack would be a raise.

On the turn or the river, putting in a short stack would be a call. I pushed a large stack in for a raise, cutting it into two stacks of 6 chips when it was out there to make it easier for the dealer to verify.

This was very fast and saved me the trouble of counting chips when it was my turn to act. I've never seen another player use this method of arranging their chips in stacks of two big bets.

Old 03-15-2002, 11:57 AM

I have never had a problem with the action getting past me and if it does then it is the dealers fault not yours.

I agree that for some players vocals are bad if they don't have a strong voice. I like the chip stack idea and I think you should try it.

I find that it is important to act quickly in order to change the minds of those acting behind but do what is most comfortable for you.

1 Leg Lance
Old 03-15-2002, 12:44 PM

I never call or limp, I always raise, so there's never any question at the table about my intentions. [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, if you intend to raise, grab a whole bunch of chips so that, if your quiet voice is not heard, there's no question you had enough chips in your hand to raise and it should be allowed.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:02 PM

Make a thumbs-up motion when you want to raise. A few cardrooms/tournaments don't allow this, so be sure to ask first if it's okay.

Also, try stacking your chips ahead of time. If you're playing 4-8, for example, keep a couple 8-chip piles handy.

TRLS
Old 03-15-2002, 03:27 PM

"I'm in the habit of having raising chips at the ready without vocals."

Thanks Tommy.

-Zeno
Old 03-15-2002, 04:21 PM

Some different advice for you Baggins. It is my opinion that you should learn to state what you are going to do at the Poker table. It has a number of benefits.

There is never any question of your intentions. You can state, I raise (or call etc.) and gage reactions of other players while you are putting in your chips. It (usually) helps to strengthen your table image. If you ever play pot- or no-limit it is very helpful as you can state raise - and then decide by how much. There are other reason also, not the least being that you don't give away your intentions prematurely.

Just because you are a quiet guy is no excuse not to learn to verbalize at the Poker Table. In the long run, it has many positive benefits.

-Zeno
Old 03-15-2002, 07:16 PM

"I've never seen another player use this method of arranging their chips in stacks of two big bets."

I'd say about half the mid-limit players do that around here at some point with two small bets. But the stacks aren't sitting out there needing to be grabbed and placed like your method. They are in hand, the kind of bets that spray out from under into two slid bets or one stacked and one slid. I think this is a more effective way of betting because the opponents don't get to sit there and watch you reach for little stacks and put them in, sometimes this way, sometimes that, sometimes this tempo, sometimes that. And with any easy access to a non-large stack, this method equates to having two big bets ready to launch, because one need only reach back for and grab one big bet, six or eight chips, while a big bet is still in hand.

Tommy
Old 03-15-2002, 08:16 PM

Default What is your Priority?

I generally don't want to delay the game and dislike players who leave chips in their racks and take forever to act.

However, HOW you raise is also part of the skill of "playing the players."

I play a lot of 4-8 and can always cut a stack easily within one chip of what I want to do.

I think its a strategy tool to vary how you raise.

My suggestion is for you to place your concern about speed and vocalization a little lower than how you can raise, different ways. (I know some players want the reverse - same actions no matter what)

Sometime I take stack large enough for a raise but only leave a call. Sometimes I put out a call and at the same time say raise and go back for more. (Not a string bet)

Mostly when I raise I make on quick motion leaving one stack then another adjacent, to show the call and raise, and don't say anything.

I want opponents to pay attention to me as a threat. I want to draw attention, (is he calling, or raising or what).

I always quickly act when it is my turn, but I am ready as soon as I can legally act. I just want to vary my behavior.

IMO