Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Your river move...

Stakes: $5/$10
Players: Fairly Loose. No particular reads.

Absolute Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Garland is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Garland raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Garland bets</font>, CO calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Garland bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.70 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Garland ????

All comments appreciated.

Garland
Old 09-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Your river move...

bet. you might have the best hand, and your opponent might fold unimproved. you're probably behind to an Ace w/ a mediocre kicker. give him a chance to fold unimproved. you're more likely here to get a better hand to fold than you are to get a weaker hand to bluff at you on this river (and your check will almost always be met with a raise).
Old 09-17-2004, 03:36 PM

What better hand is going to fold here? (Answer - None)

I agree he can bet this river, but not because a better hand is ever going to fold.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:38 PM

The weak/tightie in me says Check / Call.

On one hand, you certainly seem beat...on the other hand, the CO may be me, yet again overplaying 88 or 99. Just about any good cold-calling hand has you and a few bad cold-calling hands just back-doored something. Not worth having to call a raise on the river.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:39 PM

Out of pos valuebet.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:57 PM

With no reads, bet. Against a medium player in terms of aggression/passivity, you will be calling hands that have you beat and seeing him check hands that you can beat. That's the worst of both worlds.

If, on the other hand, this player is a total calling station, then I check and expect him to check behind, even with Ax.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
, on the other hand, this player is a total calling station, then I check and expect him to check behind, even with Ax.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he was a total calling station i would definetly bet,he might call with any rubbish.
Did you mean to say if the player is very passive to check ,that would make sense
Old 09-17-2004, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
, on the other hand, this player is a total calling station, then I check and expect him to check behind, even with Ax.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he was a total calling station i would definetly bet,he might call with any rubbish.
Did you mean to say if the player is very passive to check ,that would make sense
Old 09-17-2004, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was a calling station I'd bet, if he was very passive I'd bet. The only times I wouldn't bet is if I had a very specific read that this player would bluff bet on the river if checked to because there would be a chance of me winning if I check-called.

Like dejableu pointed out, if you check and call, you'll be losing 100% of the time (ESPECIALLY against a call station or passive player). If you bet, you'll be called by some hands you beat, your opponent may fold, and if you're raised it's an easy fold.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:38 PM

Default MY river move... RESULTS

Wow. I went through the range of hands my opponent would do these three things with: a) cold-call a preflop raise b) call the flop c) call the turn.

Certainly any pocket pair qualifies as well as Ax, a good K, or two broadway cards. Perhaps suited connecters would play too. I figured by the time he called the flop on a drawless board, something might be up also confirmed by the turn call. It's doubtful he's calling the turn on K high with the A on board. So the only things in my mind that I can beat by the river are 88 and 99 specifically. I also expect my opponent to check behind on the river on these hands.

I check-folded. I was hoping someone would encourage this action, but maybe I'm too weak. I certainly wasn't going to check-call, and I almost bet, but was willing to fold to a raise. I'm almost sure this opponent had at least an A for everything that happened.

So I rated the river actions as follows:

1) Check-fold to bet
2) Bet-Fold to Raise
3) Check-call

Thanks for all your comments.

Garland