Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 06:49 PM

Default Why do you play poker...

this is an entry I threw in the blog this week....

when I hear debates about whether one would want the 5 mil. or the bracelet and respect of the poker world, I just wanna smile....it's like choosing between a McD's happy meal and barbarque ribs - or between Bea Arthur and Jessica Alba - simply should be no choice.

--------------------

let me tell ya my poker dream.

I want to get about 5 mil - either thru multiple tourneys or the WSOP -

then I wanna bail on the world - go over to Ireland and take university classes on trad. Irish music - find a small place near the ocean and tell the world to [censored] off...

but not without high speed internet that let's me play online whenever I want...LOL -

it's not about being the greatest - or the richest - it's just about the pipe dream that lets me do whatever I want for the rest of my life...

that's a good dream.

RB
Old 09-16-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Be careful what you wish for...

Your man Kerry would tax so much of your 5 million dollar win that you'd be lucky to be able to afford a single CD and a sleeping bag under an Irish Pub in Boston much less the dream you pursue. Good luck to you and your dreams and if you do win the big one I hope we still have a Republican administration so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:32 PM

Default hmmm...higher taxes or no job...toughie choice.

I have been laid off two times in the last 4 years - the most recent being today.

I have friends who have been in worse shape - their middle class, family-raising jobs have been replaced by Mcjobs.

I'd rather have a president that supports the middle class and lets them have a job and might tax me a little more if I hit the $5000000 category as a result then a man who deficit spends us into oblivion, and takes from the middle class and gives it to his [censored] oil buddies.

you can talk to me all you want about taxes, the Religious Right, GWB and so forth, but there is no [censored] way in hell you can convince me that this country is better then it was 4 yrs with that [censored] taking over the surplus that the Democrats left him.

You cannot convince me I'm safer or better off with the [censored] quagmire in Iraq....that thing is a siphon that sucks from the middle class while lining the pockets of Halliburton and GWB/Cheney's warmonger buddies.

And as of next week, I'll have the [censored] unemployment check to prove it.

sorry if I'm sore....this is now offically a bad [censored] day.

RB
Old 09-16-2004, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Be careful what you wish for...

Good luck man ... starting tomorrow, I will be joining you on the unemployment line.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Be careful what you wish for...

[censored]....

well, I got a shot. I basically applied for a full time job and was all but assured it was mine...

but 5 weeks and VP wrangling about costs later, and I'm now offically in Limbo -

and I'm not deluding myself into thinking I can duplicate davidross's results at this time - I'll take my poker bankroll and play small ($10/20) tourneys, cause that's my most profitable game right now, but I can't start playing poker for a living....I'm not good enough.

and I don't have the BR for it anyways.

RB
Old 09-16-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Why do you play poker...

I want money. I don't want to be on tv(especially the WSOP). I would rather build my bankroll all in cash games and ignore all tournaments. Once I became extremely wealthy from cash games, then Id play select tournaments including the WSOP.
Some pro(i think negreanu) said something like, "Most people have never heard of the best poker players in the world and the best players like it that way."
Old 09-16-2004, 10:42 PM

Default Re: hmmm...higher taxes or no job...toughie choice.

Being angry at Bush for the economic situation is understandable, but somewhat misplaced. Look at this article. Notice the date. The reality is that people saw the recession coming two years before Clinton left office, yet nothing was done--by either administration--to alleviate it until it was too late.

It sucks that you lost your job, for sure. As a grad student in my last year of school, I am not exactly optimistic about the job market either. But to blame one political party for the recession, when there is just as much blame lying with the other party, is to ignore the facts.

I wish you the best of luck with your job search.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:14 PM

I play poker for the money, if I wanted some sort of challege, there would be MUCH MUCH better ways to spend my time, IMO.

and I'd rather not be on TV at all if I ever because extremely good, I don't want to be bugged by a bunch of people whenever I go outside telling me how much I suck or how lucky I got or if I can give them some money or about how last night they were playing poker and their aces got cracked by... etc.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:21 PM

Default Re: hmmm...higher taxes or no job...toughie choice.

to blame the current administration for the economic woes of the wealthiest nation in the world is ludicrous. that's like blaming Sean Fanning for the subpar content of a gangsta rap album.

one man, even the president, especially the president, does not have control over a nation's economy. an entire 4 years of a political party calling the shots in washington cannot have the instantaneous effect on the economy that you insinuate that it does. economic cycles and trends and growth due to political influence and overall stimuli cannot manifest themselves in such a short period. not major ones, anyway. Clinton and the Dems have just as much responsibility for where we are now as does Bush and the Reps.

to say otherwise would be to ignore sound economic theory and the massive scope of the situation.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:26 PM

Sounds like a lovely dream(no sarcasm intended) but you don't need 5 mil to fulfill it. Hell, you only need enough to get a plane ticket to ireland. I'm sure they have jobs over there.