Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2004, 01:18 AM

Default Was This A Stupid Push?

I'm 14th out of 16 remaining players, 7600 chips, 1200 bb. It's folded to me on the button with T8offsuit. I move all-in. The BB had a big stack and was playing a bit on the loose side, so I pretty much expected a call. I was willing to go head to head with T8 vs. whatever he had for the shot at doubling up there.

Was that stupid? Should I have waited for a better time? The table had been real agressive and pretty loose, and I wasn't sure I would have a spot before the bb came around again. I felt alright about going up with 8T vs. whatever he had, there was like 1000 in antes too.

Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Was This A Stupid Push?

Given your description of the BB, I don't like it at all. T8o is garbage, I think you definitely have time to wait for a better spot.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:17 AM

I'd wait for at least QJ or king high if you know he is calling. You have a good chance of getting a better opportunity than that.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:26 AM

A push with T8 is a steal move as far as I'm concerned. You don't think a steal will work here, which pretty much means that you're hoping T8 is the best hand. Against a random hand, T8 will win about 50 percent of the time, against two random hands, it's about 33 percent.

What are the chances you'll be picking up a better hand in the next couple of hands? Let's define a better hand as either A high or pair. The probability of getting that in any given hand is about 20 percent, or 90 percent in the next ten hands.

If you know you're going to get called, you want to be called with a better hand than T8, and there's a better than 90 percent chance you'll pick up such a hand in the next ten hands.

In short, I'd wait.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:48 AM

If your BB opponent is on the loose side with a big stack, it's definitely a bad push.

You get called = You're in trouble.

Garland
Old 09-16-2004, 02:59 AM

Default T8 you have to take reality into account

There is a good chance I'll have a hand better than T8 soon. Only it will be behind a raiser, or from a mid or early seat. I'd rather have T8 vs. 1 random hand than Ax vs. a raise in front of me. The propability of being dealt a better hand is completely irrelevant to me because that better hand probably has more of a shot at being dominated than T8 does vs. the big stack bb.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:01 AM

But I'm in trouble no matter what. Also even though he is loose doesn't mean he has J8 or better every hand. T8 isn't horrible headsup.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm in trouble no matter what. Also even though he is loose doesn't mean he has J8 or better every hand. T8 isn't horrible headsup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, you lost the hand. What did the BB hold? (i think it was a bad push also, a steal only works if there is a chance the BB will fold, and clearly this was a steal attempt)
Old 09-16-2004, 05:09 AM

I have to agree with posters.....I think with you holding @ 6xBB in chips you are hardly at the point where you need to pick a hand and go all in......sure it's getting close to crunch time, and if I felt the BB would fold to All-in, then I might steal. But no way way I go all in w/ 10/8o if I think I'll get called. There are varying debates on how long to wait in that bubble situation b4 making a move, and I am sort of inclined to wait as long as possible for at least a decent hand to make my move with. I think you had more time here. I understand your "position " argument, but If I get a good hand, or even luck out and get a great hand, I hope there is a caller or two so I can have a chance to maybe triple up or better.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:59 AM

Default Re: T8 you have to take reality into account

[ QUOTE ]
<snip>Only it will be behind a raiser, or from a mid or early seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with mid and early seats are the chances somebody will call you, right? As it is now, you _know_ you will get called. Not much of a difference really (unless there's a suicide pact with multiple all ins, but that's really not that common).
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have T8 vs. 1 random hand than Ax vs. a raise in front of me. The propability of being dealt a better hand is completely irrelevant to me because that better hand probably has more of a shot at being dominated than T8 does vs. the big stack bb.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, any two cards can win I guess, but T8 is a dog against half the hands out there, and without fold equity, I think all in is a bad move here.