Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 10:30 PM

Default Online versus Vegas success - thoughts?

Been playing for 6 months. Serious student of game. Read WLLH and SSH multiple times each. Have been winning steady at .25/.5- and .50/1 online (earning $3/hr). Went to vegas this week and played 1-3 at Excal, 2-4 at Monte Carlo, and 1-2 at Luxor. Played about 10 hours over two days. I played tight and aggressive, did my best, but got killed. I just could not figure out what I was doing wrong - if anything. Anyone else go to vegas and get clobbered at these low limits? I couldn't protect a hand to save my life, had 3-4 people seing the river with me always when I was in a pot, I'm getting drawn out on constantly by drunken fools. Did I just get a serious run of bad luck/cards (on flop and post flop) or what??? Any thoughts - similar or different stories? thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Online versus Vegas success - thoughts?

10 hours X 30 hands an hour = 300 hands. Uh, where is sample size man?
Old 09-15-2004, 10:40 PM

i agree, one weekend is not enough to tell anything...

ps. meshuggah rocks...
Old 09-15-2004, 10:53 PM

I just came back from Vegas a couple of weeks ago and played mostly 8-16 and 10-20, but I tried to get my friends to play poker and made them sit down at the Monte 2-4 and Excal 1-3 (we passed on the luxor as it was too claustrophobic). So, we got drunk and played. And let me tell you those guys were horrible.

I would 3bet and idiot and another would cold call with Q4 and flop bottom two. I'd be so drunk that I'd raise with AQ UTG and fire barrels on every street to the river and with three other opponents calling all the way (even the river bet) I won with A high. I suspect you'd be able to win in these games b/c the players are so bad, but you'd experience gigantic swings.

A hui hou,
Adam
Old 09-15-2004, 11:05 PM

Guys, this one time, I didn't win. Is poker my game?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:07 PM

thanks for the perspective - I guess in my steaming from the past few days, I quickly forgot poker is one big session. will go up and down, but good play will prevail at the end. thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 11:19 PM

It's pretty obvious you were running well for 6 months and then your win rate came crashing back to earth against the tough competition at the Excalibur 1-3, Monte Carlo 2-4, and the Luxor 1-2.

(Non-smartass answer: You had a bad run. It happens to all of us. It happens all the time. Get used to it, and don't sweat it.)
Old 09-15-2004, 11:31 PM

Meshuggah,
I'm in the opposite situation from you. I've been playing live 2/4 for about 11 months now, maybe 15-20 sessions and have found it to be a real struggle. From many postings in these forums, and my whining (I admit), I'm going to take everyone's advice and play online starting at 0.5/1, and go from there. I trust that over time I'll win enough to pay for my B&M experiences.

The issue w/these low level live games is many fold: 1) Some people don't know what they are doing, but through the luck of the cards, they beat you. 2)they get drunk, don't care, and do all kinds of things that mess up the game including your results. 3)To them it's entertainment while to serious poker players, it's a study in progress like a college education, say.

How to beat the situation: I'm still working on this, but have some thoughts:

1. In these crazy games, play only the absolute best cards, i.e. extra tight;
2. I may get beat up here, but fold early rather than later. So, if a lot of people are in the action, and you have an okay hand, count folding as a successful move.
3. One thought that just came to mind is that it's more difficult to be patient live vs. on-line. The adrenaline thing, and playing only one table, leads to impatience I propose.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but wanted to offer my thoughts.
Good Luck,
MrHorace
Old 09-15-2004, 11:56 PM

great response - thank you - tip # 3 I think is dead on - very good point. thanks
Old 09-16-2004, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The issue w/these low level live games is many fold: 1) Some people don't know what they are doing, but through the luck of the cards, they beat you. 2)they get drunk, don't care, and do all kinds of things that mess up the game including your results. 3)To them it's entertainment while to serious poker players, it's a study in progress like a college education, say.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are problems?