Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 06:05 PM

Default Help settle a debate over a hand

A friend of mine and I have been discussing this one for quite a while. He was the SB in this hand. I'll try and recreate the scenario as well as I can, since it was a month ago.

2 Table Live Tourney, $50 + rebuys, down to about 14 players, 7 at our table.

Hero is UTG. Button is a horrible player. He's got no business playing for $5, let alone $50. SB (my friend) is a good player, but overly aggressive preflop, especially with his A hands. BB is a solid player (also a friend).

Blinds are 150/300.

Hero, UTG (t6000)
Button (t1575)
SB (t3450)
BB (t2500)
The other players folded pre-flop, and I can't remember their stack sizes.

I'm deat Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Before you go berating me for calling, understand that there were three players out of seven who ever raised preflop, and I thought my chances of seeing one were pretty good. I like this hand anyway, I don't know why.

Button calls. SB completes. BB checks. Pot t1200.

Flop comes T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks.
BB checks.
Hero bets t1000.
Button calls (leaving 275 of his stack left, the dope).
SB reraises all-in.

Pot is t6500. 2300 for me to call. After a lot of consideration, I did.

Do you think I made the right call?

Also, it's important to note that the Button is such an idiot, that I didn't worry about his call. He eventually went all-in and turned over 67o.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Help settle a debate over a hand

the call is a no brainer... I would even call a raise 5 times as large with this hand.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:48 PM

Easy call.

You’re getting 3:1 on your money, or need 25% chance to win, and there is no hand that is that much of a favorite vs. you.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:05 PM

I would only think about folding if he showed me 7h 9h, and even then I would probably call.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:13 PM

the only two hands that you can be up against that you are not +EV are a set and a bigger flush draw. I doubt you are up against either of these, and most likely have the best hand or the best draw getting 3:1.

That said, I'm still going to berate you for your preflop call w/ QTs. Even 7 handed, even on a LP table, I'm almost always mucking that unless everyone's stacks are much deeper. Like twice as deep.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:21 PM

"the only two hands that you can be up against that you are not +EV are a set and a bigger flush draw. I doubt you are up against either of these, and most likely have the best hand or the best draw getting 3:1"

He's behind a set but still has odds to call, and is ahead of a bigger flush draw because he has a pair.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:56 PM

I figured I made the right call. For those interested, the SB turned over 79, for the straight.

Still, checking on twodimes.net, I have 40.5% EV, so my 2300 call on the 6500 pot was still correct. I won the hand, but not the way you might think I did. The turn was T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], river Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. A very satisfying hand that helped me cruise to 2nd place, where I ran up against a huge stack, who busted my trips when he caught runner runner for a flush. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Still, knowing that he had the straight, would you still make the call? Obviously, twodimes calculation says yes, but you are a 2-1 dog. Would you make the call in that situation?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:53 PM

If twodimes says yes, the only considerations is how +EV the play is, and whether you will have a reasonable stack if you lose. Both of those potential restrictions still make this an easy call, in this case (2550 chips left if he loses, and the play is easily +EV).
Old 09-16-2004, 02:38 PM

another vote for call, although I might have bet more intially to avoid a troubling scenario like this.